Job DescriptionAbout Us
Queens Carbon's mission is to build a sustainable future by eliminating deep-rooted CO2 emissions in industrial manufacturing and beyond. We're developing a novel hydrothermal process that dramatically reduces the energy needed to extract and capture CO2 from carbonate minerals. This low energy solution for carbonate processing creates a commercially viable path for widespread carbon capture projects and carbon neutral cement production. At scale, this technology will enable gigaton-level reductions in industrial CO2 emissions via avoidance and capture routes.
Our team is united behind the idea that preventing climate change is the single most important task of this generation. If you are excited about cutting edge science, saving the environment, and want to have fun while doing it, join us! Position Overview
As a Senior Research Scientist, you will be on the front lines of our R&D team and will work on developing our hydrothermal carbonate processing system. You'll design and conduct parameterized studies to measure all aspects of our hydrothermal process. You will take the lead in process refinement and analysis, and create bi-weekly reports that summarize your findings to the rest of the team. You'll also help us build our team and develop a friendly and healthy company culture.
As our research progresses, we'll run into unique challenges, so a love of dynamic problem solving is a must. Since this is a small team, you will have opportunities to grow into a leadership role, as well as branch out into other areas of the business. Your research will directly shape our technology, and you will influence how we grow from bench top to industrial scale. Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the operation of our hydrothermal reactor to refine engineering parameters. Work with the mechanical engineering counterpart to establish data acquisition procedures and automation controls. Provide weekly input on reactor design.
- Conduct kinetic and thermodynamic analysis of the relevant reaction pathways for carbonation and decarbonation chemical reactions. Provide weekly summary on findings.
- Lead CO2 capture and cement production research.
- Material Characterization: Develop and follow procedures for characterization of inorganic oxides for carbonate content quantification, degree of crystallinity, phase identification, phase quantification, particle size, surface area, and density. Collect data using state-of-the-art equipment such as XRD, TGA, He-Pyc, etc.
- Help build our facility and calibrate or upgrade machines as needed.
- Carry out general research on the industry, such as attending technical conferences or reading newly published literature.
- Help prototype new processes or products in related material fields.
- PhD in material science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field; or a master's degree in the listed fields and over 5 years of industry experience.
- Experience in the world of calcination, mineralization, carbonization, or any other cement adjacent field. Previous exposure to hydrothermal processes is a plus.
- Strong understanding of data collection, analysis, automation, and proficiency in analytical software platforms like MATLAB, Arduino, C#, C++, Scilab, or Mathematica. MATLAB and Arduino experience is strongly preferred.
- 2+ years of previous research in either an industrial or academic environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills, the ability to learn quickly, and the propensity to tackle new problems.
- A great team-focused attitude, and a willingness to teach and learn from others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A desire to save the planet, and an interest in becoming a part of the growing group of climate change innovators.
These requirements are not set in cement, so if you're passionate about this role and think you'd be a great fit, please reach out! Benefits and Salary
We're Committed to DiversityQueens Carbon is committed to building a diverse team and is home to an inclusive culture. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we strive to include a variety of voices in our team that can provide different perspectives. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, disability status, age, or veteran status.
- A competitive salary
- Equity in the company
- Insurance options including health, dental, vision, life, and 401k
- A friendly time-off policy that encourages a healthy work-life balance
- A laptop of your choice
- Company-wide hiking retreat on Earth Day
- Sweet company swag :)