Job DescriptionSalary: $4,954.91/monthSUMMARY:
NextGen America is seeking passionate and hardworking candidates to join our youth organizing program in Arizona, working to engage young people in electoral politics by registering thousands of young people to vote across the state. NextGen is committed to engaging young people in Arizona in the political process and increasing participation among 18-35 year olds. This role will be focused on organizing in one of several regions in Arizona as part of this ambitious effort.
In Arizona, this effort will focus on organizing young people on campuses and the surrounding communities to bring progressive change to government through voting. Our work will engage young voters in voter registration efforts, volunteer recruitment, and pledging young people to vote. Our 2022 program will include traditional organizing tactics such as tabling, phone banking, peer-to-peer text banking, and more to register and mobilize young voters.
This role will be based in East Valley and reports to the Organizing Director in Arizona.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Union Position: Yes
Travel Requirement: Weekly travel within assigned region (up to 2 hours from primary location), 10% travel outside of primary region
Position End Date: 11/15/2022ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Recruit and train organizers to organize effectively and efficiently on their campuses and in their communities both remotely and in person on a weekly basis
- In-person organizing, including voter and community engagement at voter homes, businesses, campuses and NextGen-sponsored events
- Manage organizers to hit their goals
- Recruit and manage volunteers as necessary
- Promote and execute events worthy of press and media
- Develop relationships and partnerships with local community, student groups, and campus administrations in order to hit goals
- Execute campaign plans and effective organizing tactics including traditional grassroots voter contact, creative earned media actions, digital organizing tactics, event planning and turnout
- Meet all data and field reporting deadlines
- Perform other dues as assigned
Bonus points for:
- Experience organizing and managing organizer and volunteers
- Driven with a strong work ethic
- Weekend and irregular work hours required
- Ability to adapt to evolving priorities and manage several tasks simultaneously
- Very well organized; excellent written, verbal and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and outside organizations and multi-task without sacrificing quality of work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to foster a cooperative, team-oriented work environment
- Experience working with VAN or Votebuilder
- Experience with electoral organizing
- Experience organizing in communities of color
- Previous student, youth, or campus organizing experience
- Experience with EveryAction
- Prior training in anti-oppression, equity and inclusion organizing
In-person organizing is an essential part of this position. Consistent with NextGen America's efforts to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees, volunteers, and communities in which we serve, proof of full vaccination status at time of hire is an employment requirement for this position.
Please note that our program may change as conditions in each state fluctuate due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff may be required to shift between remote and in-person work in response to changing conditions, such as: on-the-ground risk levels, public health guidance or local social distancing requirements.COMPENSATION:
Salary of $4,954.91/month plus a comprehensive benefits package.UNION MEMBERSHIP:
Employees in this classification are represented by the Campaign Workers Guild and subject to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement. This bargaining unit may establish and collect dues from their members independent from NextGen America. ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America is the leading national organization for engaging young people through voter education, registration and mobilization. We invite 18-to-35 year olds - the largest and most diverse generation in American history - into our democracy to ensure our government works for them and to find new solutions to the dire challenges facing our society and the world. Since 2013, NextGen America has registered more than 1.4 million young voters and educated many millions more, delivering more than the margin of victory for progressives in key races and building an electorate that will lead American politics for decades to come.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice, and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and immigration from a progressive perspective, and we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others. We also recognize the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system and strive to make positive changes within our system as a result.