R&D Manager - Cement Materials
444 Somerville Ave
Somerville, MA, 02143
September 2022Background & Overview
Sublime Systems' mission is to have a swift and massive impact on reducing global CO2 Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra low-carbon cement that can be used in virtually any application under existing standards. Sublime's breakthrough process replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature and eliminates the use of fossil fuel and limestone, resulting in a zero-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values of excellence, creativity, and teamwork, and our motivation to create a better world.Position Overview
Sublime Systems seeks an R&D Manager to drive the development of our decarbonized cement. The R&D Manager will be responsible for setting technical priorities and research strategy, planning and prioritizing research efforts, supervising and mentoring a team of researchers, providing expert guidance on difficult technical challenges, presenting results to internal and external stakeholders, and driving our efforts to meet aggressive technical milestones. This individual will be a key intellectual driver of our efforts to validate and optimize the performance of our cement. The R&D Manager will work closely with the company's leadership and will make a large impact on the technology and business. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement.Responsibilities include:
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Identifying R&D priorities and developing plans to accomplish these goals
- Supervising and mentoring Sublime Systems' cement materials research team
- Ensuring that time and resources are used efficiently to consistently deliver results
- Leading the development of Sublime's technology through deep knowledge of cement and concrete properties and performance, along with connections to industry experts
- Conceiving and implementing innovative strategies to improve cement performance
- Presenting results to internal and external stakeholders
- Writing white papers, reports, grant applications, and patent applications
- Recruiting, hiring, and developing excellent R&D personnel
- Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes
- Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
The R&D Manager will be a senior leader on Sublime Systems' technical team. This individual must be comfortable getting hands-on in the laboratory to provide instruction and guidance to the team but will spend most of their time on research strategy, planning and prioritization, intellectual leadership, and results communication. Ideal candidates will be organized, innovative, results-driven, ambitious, and excellent managers.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
- B.S. or M.S. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 12 or more years of relevant work experience, OR Ph.D. in civil engineering, materials science, materials chemistry, or a related field, plus 8 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated success in leading teams to develop innovative technologies, materials, or products.
- Deep knowledge of the cement and concrete materials industry.
- Government or industrial research and/or product development experience in cement, concrete, admixtures, or related materials is required.
- Expert knowledge of cement and concrete materials chemistry, including reaction mechanisms and material structure-property-function relationships.
- Extensive knowledge of ASTM and ACI standards and committees relevant to cement and concrete materials.
- Experience grant and patent applications is highly preferred.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all team members.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Berkner Group has been retained to execute this search. If you were contacted by Berkner Group, please reply to the person who contacted you. If you are applying to a job posting, please email your resume and a brief introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the title for this position ("[Your name] - Sublime Systems - R&D Manager - Cement Materials") in the subject line of your email. We look forward to hearing from you!