Avails Medical, Inc. is a medical device start-up, based in Menlo Park, California. At Avails we are developing a novel electrical point-of-care bio-sensor platform for rapid infectious disease detection and antibiotic susceptibility testing.Description
: This is a full-time position?
As part of our ongoing growth, we have an opening for a full-time Microbiology Lab Technician
. Under supervisor or senior technical support direction the Lab Tech for MICROBIOLOGY will process specimens and load them onto testing instruments; assist in instrument maintenance; process specimens for confirmatory testing; archive samples after analysis; respond to inquiries from Preanalytical Services; monitor equipment temperature readings; participate in pre-clinical test development, training and ad-hoc projects as directed.Responsibilities:
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Perform a variety of bacterial experiments and testing in collaboration with other technicians, research associates, scientists, and engineers.
- Responsible for processing specimens for testing and recording test results in an organized fashion.
- Sub-culture bacterial isolates on agar plates.
- Prepare lab supplies and equipment for experiments.
- Consults with Vice President of Microbiology, Scientists and Research Associates as needed.
- Effectively communicates project status to supervisor, peers and other staff.
- Assist with a variety of clerical functions such as protocol drafting, data entry, and other support functions as assigned.
- Maintain logs and QC records for laboratory equipment in accordance with company and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a clean and organized laboratory workspace.
- Organizes, catalogs and stores specimen samples.
- Monitor lab supplies and communicate inventory to Lab Manager.
- Restock supplies and inventory as needed.
- Adheres to all Safety/Health regulatory and state/federal legal requirements and policies, operating procedures.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Microbiology or related field with basic microbiology lab experience.
- Must have basic experience in Microbiology, in particular, making microbiological culture media, microbiological sub-culturing.
- Preference for experience in an industrial microbiology or related laboratory environment, such as working in Biosafety Level-2 (BSL-2) rated spaces.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent aseptic technique
- Personal Traits:
- Problem solving and trouble-shooting skills to work with colleagues to identify and execute appropriate experimental design to generate accurate data.
- Strong team player, with a collaborative and helpful mindset.
- Ability to work independently/with minimal supervision to execute detailed tasks, operations, procedures, and experiments while maintaining a safe, effective microbiology laboratory.