The SCB LACA Section is excited to open a call for proposals to serve as its first Administrative and Board Liaison (A&BL)! As part of the Society's transition to more empowered Sections, LACA seeks a partner to help the Section reach its organizing potential and advance conservation in the LACA region. The A&BL is an important opportunity to affect how societies manage broad interests, historical narratives and communication styles to build towards an ecologically regenerative future. The A&BL position serves to coordinate Board and LACA actions to advance LACA’s goals for its
As SCB undergoes a transition and to better serve the needs of our membership, LACA seeks an administrative staffer that acts to support the aims of the LACA Board. Essential functions and responsibilities include administrative, finance, conference management, governance, and outreach duties as described below.
The A&BL is primarily responsible for LACA’s administrative support and information management, and supports the LACA Board. A strong commitment to equity and inclusion and to advancing the field of conservation science is required for this position. The A&BL will work remotely from home or other suitable facility. It is expected that this staff is based in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Liaising with the Board as to all upcoming SCB activities, deadlines, opportunities, policy changes, etc.
- Coordinating and developing LACA’s webinar series, including identifying and recruiting quality speakers.
- Compile a list of in-country University departments related to conservation biology/environmental sciences across Latin American and the Caribbean, and relevant contact people for circulating LACA relevant information.
- In cooperation with the Board (like all/many of the items here), develop a budget for our highest priority annual program activities, and identify prospective sponsors for LACA programs, activities, and initiatives.
- Coordinating LACA conference preparation and associated activities, including helping to establish an effective planning committee.
- Coordinating and scheduling all LACA monthly meetings.
- Assist in coordinating and conducting Board elections
- Maintain updated Board membership lists; assist in maintaining committee membership lists and records.
- Follow-up with relevant Board members and others regarding decisions/commitments made and action items (deliverables).
- Provide a monthly progress report to the Board
- Helping to develop and further Board ideas around a mentorship/e-mentor program, including giving it structure, finding volunteers, etc.
- Promoting LACA and recruiting volunteers for LACA committees and in pursuit of objectives/goals listed in the strategic plan.
- Help update LACA’s website and develop content/schedule for social media postings.
- Where necessary, assist Board members to communicate with the membership about relevant matters though the drafting of. nomination calls, questionnaires, and social media calls, among others.
- Helping to promote and solicit applications for LACA scholarship program, establish deadlines, etc.
- Coordinating/Liaising with other SCB Sections regarding joint or mutually beneficial activities, investments, ideas, etc.
Expertise and/or Qualifications
- Required - fluent in one LACA language (Spanish, English, Portuguese, French, Dutch). Desirable - fluent in more than one LACA language, especially those spoken by the majority of our current membership (Spanish, English, Portuguese).
- Operational maturity with 2-3 years experience in an administrative position or office management OR Bachelor’s degree with 2 years experience. Experience working with professional societies or non-profit organizations in an international arena is desired.
- Passion for and foundational knowledge about conservation-related issues within Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and ability to effectively work across a wide variety of constituency groups including student organizations, citizen science groups, etc.
- Demonstrated cultural competency across multiple communities. Ability to be sensitive and respectful of the SCB and LACA community. Committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture where members from all backgrounds can thrive, regardless of race, color, religion, socio-economic status, ethnicity, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, goal-driven and confirmed ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with a positive attitude, meeting tight deadlines in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
- High emotional intelligence, ability to triage sensitive situations, and maintain confidentiality. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to effectively use a variety of computer programs including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Google Apps and other applications, including web-based tools.