About the Role
In accordance with 8th Avenue's Core Values and associated EHS&S (Corporate Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability) Team Policies, the Site EHS&S Manager drives continual improvement in environmental, health, safety and sustainability performance at 8th Avenue's Troy, Alabama location and provides guidance and support to site, business unit operations leaders and corporate EHS&S regarding EHS&S issues.
We are looking for a driven individual that is seeking the next step in their career path in Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability. The Site EHS&S Manager plays a key role in supporting the overall EHS&S function for the assigned site. You will be a key member of the site leadership team to support, manage, and execute components of EHS&S. In this role you will get diverse experience, providing you a great opportunity to grow and develop your technical and leadership skills. This will be your chance to make an impact and help create a zero-incident culture!
Position will report to the Site Plant Manager with a strong dotted-line into the Director of EHS&S. This is a single site-based role; however, the role is part of the overall EHS&S Team and providing assistance to other 8th Avenue locations may be periodically needed. Key Responsibilities
Education and Experience Required
- Practice safe working techniques and re-enforce EHS policies, procedures, and guidelines as set out by 8th Avenue Foods and Post Holdings, and other regulatory agencies.
- Serve as an onsite subject matter expert, providing technical guidance concerning site EHS&S issues.
- Be an active resource concerning employee health and safety, representing EHS&S as a member of the site Leadership Team; provide guidance and direction in EHS&S programs to employee, supervisor, and managerial levels to ensure common competencies and effectiveness.
- Lead and coordinate efforts to implement risk mitigation, injury prevention and EHS&S compliance initiatives, develop and execute tactical strategic plans to improve site EHS&S performance to continually improve overall EHS&S performance.
- Oversee EHS&S training program, including new hire, job-specific, contractor and required refresher training.
- Ensure continuous improvement in the site EHS&S Management Systems.
- Coordinate site process safety management program, where applicable.
- Manage incident and injury management process. Coordinate corrective and preventive actions accordingly with the support of the key departments, ensuring timely follow-up and implementation.
- Supervise site incident and injury reporting, investigation, and recordkeeping; and worker's compensation claims and site Return to Work program.
- Perform incident analysis, track trends, and partner with operational leaders to develop and deploy solutions to significantly reduce incidents.
- Lead site environmental program and sustainability initiatives; including required environmental permits, reporting, monitoring and recordkeeping.
- Ensure the timely completion of all required safety, environmental and sustainability reporting to internal and external interested parties.
- Coordinate site emergency response programs and manage site security programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Technical degree in engineering, science, safety, industrial hygiene or similar discipline. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- 5+ years of environmental, health and safety compliance experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Relevant certifications a plus (CSP, CIH, CHMM, PE).
- Experience in the food manufacturing, consumer products industry, or similar is a plus.
- On-the-job required travel time: Under 25%
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of applicable federal, state/provincial and local EHS regulations is required.
- Self-driver focusing on continuous improvement.
- Ability to collaborate, work beyond obstacles and build trust with impacted departments.
- Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize workload based on impact and facility goals.
- Ability to drive change by taking projects from proposal to implementation.
- Ability to effectively influence others.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, financial reports, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information in a public setting.
- Ability to perform intermediate math such as basic algebra and geometry.
- Proficient computer skills with MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel or equivalent programs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exits.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the following physical job requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- This position primarily requires an employee to walk and perform tasks in an industrial environment and can involve sitting for extended periods of time at a computer workstation.
- This position may require the employee to enter and safely navigate industrial areas and environments that are wet, hot, cold, humid, dusty and/or noisy.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for 7+ hours per day
- Must be able to perform simple grasping for 7+ hours per shift
- Must be able to express and exchange written and spoken word in English
- Must be able to safely ascend and descend ladders
- Must be able to wear all required personal protective equipment