Join Takeda as a Director, Head of Neurodegenerative Biology where you will act as the strategic leader for research activities related to the discovery of next generation medicines for Neurodegenerative Diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease and is responsible for all biological activities from target identification through to preclinical translational support for clinical assets up to early clinical proof of concept in patients. The team employs enterprise thinking and creative partnerships with internal and external organizations to translate human patient data sets into innovative drug discovery projects that are aimed at transforming the quality of life of patients. As part of the NS DDU Operations, you will report to the Head of the Drug Discovery Unit.
How you will contribute:
- Guided by the Global Neuroscience Drug Discovery Unit and Therapeutic Area Unit strategy, sets the local strategy for Neurodegenerative Research that complements established drug discovery efforts performed by the Japan neurodegeneration research team
- Leads the selection of new drug targets and executes efficient preclinical lead optimization and translational biology validation, incorporating target engagement and/or functional biomarkers of drug action
- Seeks, evaluates and proposes preclinical/clinical in-licensing candidates.
- Identifies, engages, and ensures the success of research partnerships across Takeda's global network and the external scientific community.
- Contributes to the evolution of the overarching NS DDU Strategy that goes well beyond neurodegeneration
- Keeps up-to-date with the latest scientific advancements (e.g. competitive situation, new technologies and partnerships) and is well informed about current regulatory (FDA etc.) requirements and trends.
- Sets departmental scientific and business goals and manages the financial budget, FTE allocation and other administrative functions to achieve KPIs within the promised timeframe
- Leads, coaches, and provides direct scientific leadership to group members - developing talent within the department by providing performance feedback and training opportunities.
- Implements initiatives and best practices to ensure safety and compliance as well as an open and free scientific culture that is rich in diversity.
- Acts as an NS DDU ambassador at scientific conferences and media events
- Keeps up with the up-to-date scientific advancement (e.g. competitive landscape, new technology, new research portfolio, and new partnership)
- Significant organizational leadership responsibility, including primary responsibility for a defined function, department, or research area
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function
- Initiate and lead external interactions and collaborations
- Frequent contact with internal and external personnel at various management levels
- Determines methods on new assignments; makes strategic recommendations on projects
- PhD in Life Sciences or equivalent with at least 10 years of relevant experience
- Well informed in all areas of drug discovery from target identification through preclinical research, including biomarker, and PK/PD/Tox assays.
- Track record of accomplishment in research as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and/or inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Track record of leading complex cross-functional collaborations
- Demonstrated ability to organize the activities of a large team of scientists working in highly diverse scientific areas, including managing relationships with academic collaborators and CROs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation and organization of data for efficient presentation to any internal or external senior audience or partner.
What Takeda can offer you:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Work Paths
- Tuition reimbursement
More about us:
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
This position is currently classified as "hybrid" in accordance with Takeda's Hybrid and Remote Work policy.
In accordance with the CO Equal Pay Act, Colorado Applicants Are Not Permitted to Apply.