UCAR is excited to announce the job opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow position.
This position will perform original research on advancing our understanding of the Miocene (~15 million years before present) global warming and carbon cycling.
The work will involve developing new Miocene simulations using the Community Earth System Model, synthesizing model results with published and newly developed proxy records of sea-surface temperature, and testing hypotheses regarding the mechanisms for the Miocene global warming and carbon cycling.
This work is part of an NSF collaborative project that involves scientists at Brown University (Dr. Weimin Si and Prof. Timothy Herbert). The work will also contribute to the Miocene Model Intercomparison Project (MioMIP). As such, the Postdoc Fellow will have ample opportunities to interact with interdisciplinary scientists within and outside NCAR.Where You Will Work:
This is a full-time position with the Climate & Global Dynamics Laboratory at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado.CGD's Vision
World leader in Earth System science and tools for understanding climate variability and change and addressing the risks of climate change in a collaborative and inclusive environmentCGD's Mission:
- Developing, using and supporting world-leading community models and simulations for Earth system science, including predictability and other societally important applications
- Co-developing Earth system research across NCAR, universities and stakeholders throughout the world; leveraging our strengths; and fostering the next generation of Earth system scientists
- Providing trusted, innovative data analysis, tools and methods to enable new scientific discoveries
- Building and upholding a diverse community where all are equally valued, included, and respected; recognizing everyone's essential role in advancing our scientific vision
More information can be found at https://www.cgd.ucar.edu/.
Location: Boulder, CO
Job Location Type: In-person (Hybrid options to be discussed at time of employment based on company needs)
Position Type & Term: Full-Time, 2-year term with the possibility of extension to a 3rd year
Annual Salary: $70,270
Application Notes:a. Application Deadline: October 21, 2022.b. Required application materials (preferably in PDF Format):
- Cover Letter is Required to be submitted with your Resume
- Applicants who make it to the Interview Phase will be asked to submit an Inclusion Statement and a list of 3 professional references with contact information.
Work Authorization: US Residency is a Requirement.You must reside in the U.S. for this position. UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or another protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position.] Please see "Final Considerations" for more information at the bottom.
Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Benefits Overview (not including internship or casual roles) UCAR affirms its commitment to employees through competitive benefits. Beyond rich medical, dental, vision, life insurance offerings, employee assistance and back up dependent care UCAR offers:
- Tuition Assistance and other professional development opportunities
- Potential for flexible working hours
- Starting minimum of 20 days of personal time off
- 10 paid holidays
- 10 days of sick leave every year
- 14 weeks of paid parental leave
- Company contributes 10% of gross pay into retirement; 100% fully vested on day one
- EcoPass for local Colorado residents to use the Denver and Boulder-area transit system
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Our organization is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and fostering a culture where everyone feels welcome and supported. To learn more about these efforts, visit the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan and our Diversity & Inclusion: A Welcoming Workplace site.
Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply for a position if they do not meet almost 100% of the desired skills and experience . Please note this is not necessary! If you meet the minimum requirements and have the passion for the work, you are encouraged to apply. We can provide on-the-job training for the rest!HOW YOU WILL MAKE AN IMPACT AT UCAR
Here is a brief outline of what one would expect to be responsible for in this role. Duties
WHO WE'D LOVE TO JOIN OUR TEAM
- Develop a suite of new Miocene simulations using multiple versions of the Community Earth System Model with various paleoclimate boundary conditions.
- Perform model-data comparison and synthesis to better understand the magnitude and spatial distribution of the Miocene warmth and the climate driver.
- Work with collaborators on quantifying the weathering fluxes and investigating the implication on the Miocene carbon cycling.
- Take the lead and participate in writing of scientific journal articles. Present results at relevant meetings.
Successful candidates will ensure their application materials speak to the following criteria:
Education & Experience REQUIRED:
- A Ph.D. or equivalent experience in climate and paleoclimate sciences;
- Demonstrated understanding of large-scale climate dynamics;
- Demonstrated record of high-quality research and publication.
Desired technical/computational skills:
- In-depth knowledge of the large-scale climate dynamics and the representation in Earth System models.
- Expertise in independently developing paleoclimate simulations using CESM or similar models.
- Experience working with paleoclimate proxy data and its comparison and integration with model results using statistical methods and graphical presentation.
- Ability to work collaboratively with paleoclimate researchers and related earth system scientists within/outside NCAR.
- Strong skills in written and oral communication of research results, including in an interdisciplinary context.
SOME FINAL CONSIDERATIONS
- Strong competence with data, program and file management, and scripting (eg bash, csh) in UNIX
- Experience in super-computing environments (e.g., computing clusters)
- Competence with analysis and scripting in Python
- Competence in reading and modifying FORTRAN, diagnosing models at the code level
At UCAR, we are committed to supporting our mission by giving staff the flexibility to find the schedule and location that works best to maintain their own work-life circumstances and reach their full potential as professionals. Many positions within our organization are eligible for fully on-site, hybrid, fully-remote and/or flexible work schedules.Employee Well-Being & Vaccines
In support of the health of our employees and their families, as well as visitors and the community, all UCAR employees are required to comply with UCAR's COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject only to legally required accommodations implemented by HR, prior to their start date.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at UCAR.
This position is subject to work location requirements for obtaining access to facilities and research systems. These requirements may include a combination of national security checks, credit checks, fingerprinting, or other security clearance requirements. This position is open to U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders.Pre-employment screenings
are conducted for selected candidates. Learn more.
Visa Wait Times
Please consider the length of visa procurement when applying for this posting, understanding that you will not be able to begin employment until you are able to get a visa and enter the U.S.
All employees hired by UCAR must comply with UCAR's Covid-19 Vaccination Policy and safety protocols.
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.