SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential. Job Description
The Environmental, Health & Safety Specialist will be responsible for Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) activities in one or more business locations, assessing and managing hazards and risk, reducing loss, applying the global HSE Management System, and meeting or exceeding relevant federal and local regulation. They understand the relationship between safety, quality, and productivity and their combined influence on the profitability of the organization. Additionally, they monitor the HSE-related performance of locations they support and work collaboratively with the OI/HSE Manager and site management and staff to proactively influence desirable results while minimizing the impact of unplanned events.Job Functions
- Responsible for dissemination and implementation of global SGS HSE Standards, Policies, and strategy
- Leads development and implementation of programs to meet these standards, policies, and strategies as required
- Ensures maintenance of continuous "audit ready" state of compliance with SGS and governmental HSE Standards
- Conducts HSE inspections to assess the status of HSE programs, generates reports, communicates findings and strategies needed for compliance with the supported Line of Business
- Ensures training needs for all positions within the location are identified and met, as they relate to compliance with internal expectations and with federal regulations. Works with the relevant management to deliver this training internally or through external sources
- Assists the Industrial Hygiene Manager with the implementation of Comprehensive Industrial Hygiene Exposure Assessment and Monitoring Plans by coordinating and, when needed, participating in IH hazard identification and assessment activities
- Leads an effective implementation and utilization of risk identification, evaluation, and management processes
- Participates in the incident investigation of all HSE-related incidents and "near misses" at supported locations, utilizing formal tools to identify the root cause and develop appropriate corrective and preventive actions
- Collaborates with the SGS Occupational Medical Director and Business Management Team to ensure effective injury case management process is fully implemented, well understood, and functioning as desired
- Serves as the Business HSE/OI technical expert, providing technical expertise/coaching as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function including capital project review and risks management associated with non-capital modifications
- Effectively supports geographically dispersed locations via in-person, remote, or electronic means
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Science, or Engineering, Chemistry, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, etc. (Required)
- 3+ years of experience in practical HSE advisory capacity in a related industry (Required)
- Experience resolving health, safety, and environmental questions and concerns in a timely manner (Required)
- Experience with risk management, incident investigation, program development, behavioral-based safety, job hazard analysis, and root cause analysis (Required)
- Certified Safety Professional or related designation (Preferred)
- MSHA experience (Preferred)
- Licenses and Certifications
- Valid driver's license required (Required)
- Advanced ability with MS suite software, ability to easily adapt and utilize new software as it becomes available to the benefit of the position
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a callback. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.