We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrows. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help business, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.Job Description
This opening is for a Senior Research Operations Analyst at Verisk Extreme Event Solutions in Boston, MA. This role will report to the Director of Operations for the Research and Model Development Department which consists of over 100 engineers, scientists, economists, analysts, and mathematicians. These experts develop and maintain a global suite of probabilistic risk models for natural hazards and emerging perils which are implemented into products that support the quantification and transfer of risk across the globe. As a member of the Research Operations Team, you are expected to put your curiosity into practice by embodying these guiding principles: Go see, Ask why, Show respect.
As a Senior Research Operations Analyst, you will help us monitor and improve our model development processes. Furthermore, you will establish and maintain protocols for how members of the Research and Model Development Department can work effectively and efficiently with our partners in the product development teams. We are looking for a versatile and well-rounded problem solver who exhibits these guiding principles: Go see, Ask why, Show respect.
In particular, this role is focused on three main aspects of our model development work:
To Be Successful In This Role, You Will
- Auditing existing processes and deliverables for efficiency and compliance
- Collecting and analyzing process data for a portfolio of model development projects
- Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement and coaching our research staff through process improvement initiatives
- Learn the various research and model development processes of our department
- Standardize and sustain project management practices across the department
- Collect operational metrics on project execution and resource allocation
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of our deliverable requirements
- Ensure our deliverables satisfy the needs and requirements of our customers
- Use data and objectivity to prioritize process improvement initiatives
In accordance with the Verisk Way, you will be remarkable
in the way you engage and empower research teams, add value
to the research and development process, and innovate
new ways to solve interesting problems.About The Day To Day Responsibilities Of The Role
- Maintain and continually evolve the best practices for the department
- Ensure research and model development teams are adhering to organizational standards
- Understand internal requirements and work with researchers to ensure compliance
- Engage with team leads and project stakeholders to define project activities and timelines
- Measure the performance of research activities by establishing and evaluating Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Develop and maintain a system for reporting the status of projects to senior leadership
- Collect and analyze quantitative data to support:
- The prioritization of model development initiatives
- A feasibility and cost-benefit analysis of proposed research projects
- The development of an annual budget for the Research Department
- Engage with model development teams to define processes and identify value streams
- Empower teams to establish quantifiable targets for continuous improvement
- Promote collaboration within the department to share knowledge about common processes
About You and How You Can Excel in this Role
- Degree in Math, Engineering, Science, Economics, Business Analytics, or related field
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
- Project management experience
- Preference for candidates with experience managing a portfolio of projects and performing cost-benefit analysis and prioritization
- Qualifications to support a culture of continuous improvement
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt or higher preferred
- Preference for candidates with experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Active listening with the ability to ask insightful questions
- Supports and facilitates continuous learning and the exchange of ideas
- Ability to work cross-functionally to reconcile conflicting requirements
- Clear, concise communication with the ability to influence at all levels
- Highly organized with the flexibility to adjust to evolving demands
- Motivated and independent learner who is curious about the research process
Extreme event solutions at Verisk (formerly AIR Worldwide) provides risk modeling solutions that help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, Verisk founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, supply chain disruptions, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber incidents. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on Verisk's advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, longevity modeling, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. Verisk's extreme event solutions team is headquartered in Boston, with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information, please visit www.air-worldwide.com. For more information about Verisk, a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services, please visit www.verisk.com.
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It's the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It's why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It's the aim of our "returnship" program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it's what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers' problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk's Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.Consumer Privacy Notice
Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for this position will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.