We are seeking an experienced Microbiologis
t who will be responsible for planning, developing and participating in a variety of microbiological tests to rapidly identify and characterize the presence of pathogenic microorganisms using experience and judgment to modify methods and procedures, identify problems and deficiencies, evaluate new or unfamiliar methods or protocols, and determine the time and resources required to perform experiments.To be successful in the Microbiologist role you will need:
- Demonstrated competency with complex data analysis and interpretation as well as good judgment in making decisions and recommendations;
- Demonstrated ability to manage, prioritize and execute multiple projects in order to meet time and budget deadlines;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to convey product concepts to subject matter experts and non-technical professionals along with ability to listen effectively to others;
- Energetic, forward-thinking and creative with high level of integrity and dependability and a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation;
- An open and collaborative style; must be comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged;
- Establish clear and high performance standards for self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well, enjoys being accountable and willing to hold others accountable.
- Primary lead to plan, develop, write and perform validations on appropriate test methods and protocols
- Evaluate enhancements to testing procedures and perform validation studies in accordance with protocols, as required
- Assist with planning and developing new test methods
- Perform both complex and routine microbiological testing activities such as: inoculation of media, media making, plate counting, serial dilutions, microscopy and microbial identification.
- Work using aseptic technique
- Autoclave use and management
- Act as testing lead in coordination with Lab Technician(s)
- Maintain supplies needed for daily activity
- Actively participate in general lab maintenance activities
- Monitor Testing equipment/systems for Preventive Maintenance and/or Calibration
- Ensure that communication chain for reportable test results is established and maintained
- Maintain accurate and complete documentation on test findings and protocols
- Assist in generating, interpreting and presenting scientific information in appropriate formats (summaries, reports and presentations)
- Serve as proxy to the Lab Manager
- Compliance with all facility policies concerning safety, security, Standard Operating Procedures, Good Laboratory and Good Manufacturing Practices (GLP and cGMP) and HACCP
- The position may require work on weekends, holidays, or extended days as required by Company needs.
Desirable skills include:
- Bachelor's degree in Microbiology required; advanced degree preferred either in Microbiology or in a closely-related scientific field, i.e., bio-chemistry, biomedical, or other life science.
- Minimum of five years' experience in a microbiological or biochemical laboratory environment.
- Able to lead and work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Experience with medical device dispensing systems preferred.
- Knowledge of cGood Manufacturing Practices and Good Laboratory Practices.
- Strong computer skills with MS Excel, Word and statistical spreadsheets and databases.
- Willingness to work on weekends/holidays/extended days as required by Company needs.
- Planning and organizing the laboratory team efforts
- Proficiency in aseptic technique
- Autoclave proficiency
- Performing microbial sterility testing
- Use of laboratory instrumentation related to identification of microorganisms and environmental monitoring
- Experience in Test Method design and validation
- Experience in Test Equipment validation
- Performing and interpreting the results of research testing
- Application of research laboratory principles and procedures
- Maintaining Quality Assurance and Quality Control documentation and organizational records to ensure adequate reagents and materials for operation
Essential functions are the primary job responsibilities which an employee must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.