PPM Consultants is seeking an energetic Engineer or Scientist to support our growing book of environmental/industrial compliance group in our Birmingham or Spanish Fort, Alabama offices. Other geographic locations that could be considered include Pensacola or Orlando, Florida; Jackson, Mississippi; and Monroe or Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This high-visibility position provides open-ended career growth potential and an opportunity to be part of a growing, profitable firm with an excellent culture and high degree of employee and client satisfaction. The salary is competitive and based on experience and qualifications. PPM also offers excellent benefits including but not limited to Blue Cross/Blue Shield health benefits, flex spending pre-tax accounts, tuition reimbursement, recruitment incentives, 401k matching and an incentive compensation bonus distribution of 25% of the operational profits back to the staff on a quarterly bonus basis. PPM has very low employee turnover with average tenure across the firm being 12 years. Company Overview
PPM is an environmental and engineering consulting firm providing services to petroleum marketing, manufacturing, commercial, and energy sectors, as well as local, state and federal government. PPM has achieved steady growth and success by providing common sense and cost-effective solutions to our clients' environmental issues. As our tagline implies, we "Simplify the Complex" for our diverse client base. Founded in 1994, PPM now operates seven offices in the Southeast and is consistently listed on the ENR 200 list of largest environmental consulting firms in the country.
PPM specializes in providing soil and groundwater assessment and remediation and a full range of air, water, and waste compliance consulting; due diligence; brownfield redevelopment, and other related environmental services. We believe our success is based on our unwavering commitment to exceed client expectations in every facet of our service, and recognize that the success of our organization is inherently tied to the success of our clients. We continue to attract, develop, and retain great people who have a passion for working on challenging projects that will grow both their technical and leadership skills. If that sounds like the path you envision for your future, we invite you to embark on a career with PPM.Position Description
The Environmental Compliance position at PPM provides the aspiring professional an incredible opportunity for long-term career success and advancement. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a large team of environmental compliance professionals conducting work for client facilities across our gulf south footprint and beyond. The model employed by PPM's compliance services is collaborative in nature, including a brief weekly meeting connecting all offices to ensure our compliance knowledge is very deep and not limited to the knowledge base of those in the office of primary assignment. This also brings opportunity to move to another PPM office if a geography change is desired or if family/personal situations precipitate the need. The position allows for a significant amount of flexibility, including work at home as needed and as the work allows. By the same token, PPM takes pride in its office locations to create a professional, relaxed environment where real relationships and collaboration can be fostered. It is our opinion that this balance of flexibility and work environment creates an environment where we can best serve our clients!Preferred General Qualifications and Traits for the Environmental Compliance position
Specific skills Desired:
- BS or MS in civil or environmental engineering, environmental science or geology
- A minimum of 2-5 years' experience in the environmental industry
- Ability to effectively communicate directly with clients and regulatory agencies
- Ability to suggest areas for improvement with internal processes along with possible solutions
- Honesty and integrity in all business areas
- Entrepreneurial spirit and motivation to advance career
- Managing and implementing all aspects of environmental compliance for various industrial clients
- Perform regulatory and technical research to develop client-specific compliance strategies.
- Prepare and submit required compliance reports to regulatory agencies in multiple states
- Perform environmental calculations using appropriate methodologies
- Manage all aspects of compliance projects, including team member resources, subcontractors, budget, scheduling, field activities, data interpretation, and client interaction
- Positive, fun, helpful and engaging attitude!
The successful candidate will have experience or a strong desire to LEARN the following types of skills:
Clean Water Act Compliance - Various States
- Prepare General and Individual National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit applications or Pretreatment (Indirect Discharge) permit applications including monthly DMRs and other related regulatory deliverables
- Preparation of Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) plans for facilities ranging from small industrial/commercial facilities with applicable small quantities of oil to large industrial/petroleum complexes. This includes many different forms of related regulatory consultation and audit related work.
- Preparation of Facility Response Plans for facilities that trigger "substantial harm" criteria under the SPCC rule. This work is primarily conducted with midstream wholesale petroleum pipeline storage facilities and/or refineries.
- Preparation of Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) for a broad range of facilities ranging to small facilities with General Permits to complex industrial facilities with categorical discharge limitations.
- Conduct SPCC and stormwater compliance related auditing for a variety of industries
Clean Air Act Compliance - Various States
- Ability or desire to navigate and research state and federal codes to determine applicability as it pertains to a very wide range of industrial facilities in the energy and manufacturing sector
- Strong Microsoft Excel capabilities for the purpose of accurate, detailed and complicated calculations
- Complete annual compliance certifications, greenhouse gas emission calculations, creation and maintenance of emission inventories
- Preparation and submission of periodic emission reports as it pertains to specific air regulations (NESHAP, NSPS, MACT/GACT)
- Prepare permit modification and renewal applications, including preparation of potential to emit calculations
- Coordination, planning and/or oversight of stack testing and preparation of related stack test emission reports
- Preparation of Risk Management Program (RMP) plans and related calculations and consultation for a wide range of facilities storing flammables or toxics in triggering quantities.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Compliance - Various States
- Prepare a variety of hazardous waste reports, including hazardous secondary materials (HSM) assessments
- Conduct RCRA compliance auditing
SARA Title III - Various States
- Prepare SARA Section 312 Tier II Reports and Section 313 Toxic Release Inventories (Form Rs)
- Conduct Section 312 and 313 compliance auditing
Miscellaneous Other Services
- Environmental Compliance Auditing
- ISO14001 Consulting and Implementation
- Legal support for Consent Orders or other attorney-client work privilege
Why Join PPM?
- Ensure technical quality of all client deliverables
- Develop and maintain client and regulatory agency relationships
- Mentor and motivate staff, promoting PPM's culture of success
- Ensure PPM policies and procedures are followed and the health and safety of staff members is maintained
- Attend client and industry conferences and trade shows, with willingness to present on subject matter expertise
- Exhibit strong leadership and decision-making skills
- Provide input on ways to improve the firm
- Some occasional travel may be required
While PPM has enjoyed close to three decades of success, and we recently launched a new Strategic Plan that will enable us to achieve even greater heights. The planning process began with a deep study of how our employees feel about the firm and how our clients feel about our services. The responses were benchmarked against the highest ranking firms in the industry, and we were pleased to see that we ranked among the best firms to work for in most categories. The information was used to develop our vision ( Elevating Staff, Creating Growth, and One Firm/One Culture ), along with the objectives, initiatives and action items needed to achieve this vision. There has never been a better time to join PPM! Our management team is committed to providing the successful candidate with the resources needed to help them succeed, and we encourage you to explore what we have to offer.