Microbiology Lab Technical Director - Clifton, NJ
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the "World's Most Admired Companies," Quest Diagnostics (
[Phone number shown when applying])
is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. We are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, with 2021 revenues of $10.79 billion. Position Description
The Technical Director serves as a technical resource to physicians, clients, and internal personnel. In addition, the Technical Director will oversee quality, instrumentation, and automation in the laboratories. He/she is responsible for the validity, accuracy, and analyses of all tests performed within the Laboratory. Also, this individual will provide guidance to personnel on all laboratory audits. Furthermore, the Technical Director will partner closely with the Medical Director and Laboratory Director to provide sound technical, medical and operational direction to the Business Unit. Responsibilities
- Assists with directing, planning, and managing the scientific/medical quality of the technical department.
- Support the network laboratories by undertaking reagent and instrument evaluations.
- Assist in performing experimental testing procedures; suggest changes in methods to
increase validity and accuracy.
- Determine and develop departmental standards for all test procedures; prescribe appropriate
test methods and ensure strict adherence to quality control programs.
- Develop and maintain contacts with educational institutions, professional organizations,
government agencies, etc. to keep abreast of changes and developments in the area of clinical test procedures for the diagnosis of illnesses and diseases.
- Ensures that proficiency testing program is conducted in a timely manner, reviewed by appropriate staff, and approve of corrective action when a proficiency testing result is found to be unsatisfactory.
- Ensures implementation and day to day application of best QA practices in their respective laboratories.
- Communicates matters about quality of test results and interpretation in relation to specific patient conditions.
- Assists with the polices on quality and accuracy of reporting of test results. Maintains appropriate communications both intra and inter-departmentally.
- Ensures departments are in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal licensing regulations.
- Assists with the on-going research and development of new assays, troubleshooting and/or improvements of current assays.
- Participates, as needed, in the formulation and coordination for sales and marketing objectives and programs. Assists in the identification of new clients and services. Functions as a liaison between laboratory clients and the sales and marketing organization. Provides assistance to Sales and Marketing in terms of writing technical brochures and, as required, give lectures to clients and sales representatives.
- Participates in continuous improvement utilizing the Quest Management System (QMS).
- Require 10+ years of work experience inclusive of postdoctoral fellowship.
- 2 years of relevant post-doctoral fellowship in the from an accredited program offering the opportunity for certification from the American Society of Microbiology in the area of Public Health and Clinical Microbiology.
• Solid experience in an independent clinical and/or hospital lab environment.
• Require a doctoral degree (e.g., Ph.D., Sc.D.) in a relevant biological, chemical, or science major from an accredited institution. MD degree a plus.
- Require expertise in all areas of Microbiology, including: Bacteriology, Mycobacteriology, Mycology, Virology, Infectious Disease Molecular Biology, and Immunology and Serology.
- Prefer working knowledge of one of the following areas: Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Toxicology
- Knowledge of Blood Bank and/or Histology/Pathology a plus
- Working knowledge of business operations, costs and efficiencies
- Strong working knowledge of statistics
- Strategic understanding of staffing needs
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state and CAP & CLIA regulations
- NYS Certificate of Qualifications (CQ) or ability to obtain it within 6 months after joining
• Excellent customer service skills required
• Able to speak credibly, concisely, and accurately to both physicians and clients
• Excellent follow-up skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Strong leadership skills
• Able to extract and apply theoretical and academic knowledge in an operational and transactional setting About Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnosticsempowers people to take action to improve health outcomes. Derived from the world's largest database of clinical lab results, our diagnostic insights reveal new avenues to identify and treat disease, inspire healthy behaviors and improve health care management. Quest Diagnostics annually serves one in three adult Americans and half the physicians and hospitals intheUnited States, and our nearly 50,000 employees understand that, in the right hands and with the right context, our diagnostic insights can inspire actions that transform lives.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research. Awards/Recognitions
• FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 8 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired statusin the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
• Fortune magazine's Fortune 500 list
• Forbes® Global 2000
• Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
• Forbes® 2020 America's Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
• S&P 500
• Barron's 500
• Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
• Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
• Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
• Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
• Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
• Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
• Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality' in New Jersey
• Named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by scoring a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the fifth consecutive year.
• Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
• Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020 Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests - such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count - to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology. About COVID-19 testing at Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics is at the forefront of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, working to broaden access to laboratory insights to help us all lead healthier lives. We provide both molecular diagnostic and antibody serology tests to aid in the diagnosis of COVID-19 and immune response. Our COVID-19 test services are based on tests that have received FDA emergency use authorization and which also meet our high standards for quality. We are providing these test services under the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act.
We provide data on COVID-19 testing to various federal and state public health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and participate in studies with government and private institutions, aiding COVID-19 public health response and research. Through our team of dedicated phlebotomists, air fleet team, couriers and laboratory professionals, Quest Diagnostics works hard every day to help patients and communities acrossthe United Statesaccess quality COVID-19 testing. Outlook
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics' reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics' long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
• Deliver Innovative Solutions
• Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
• Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
• Deliver Superior Patient Experiences To Apply
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting [Link available when viewing the job], clicking "Job Search" and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.