The Wildlife Hospital at Lion Country Safari is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of a full-time Certified Veterinary Technician. Located in Loxahatchee, Florida (just west of West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County), Lion Country Safari is a diverse zoological park, which is home to almost 900 animals. The park boasts a 320-acre drive through preserve, that allows non-domestic hoof stock, rhinos, ostriches, and lions (in their own exhibit area) to roam freely. Individual islands are home to siamangs, gibbons and chimpanzees. Additionally, a variety of avian species, small ruminants and reptiles are on display and provide interactive experiences with the guest in our walk-through portion of the zoo. Our facility also includes a water park, small rides for children, a boat ride, miniature golf, a restaurant, and gift shops.
Lion Country Safari Mission Statement : Be a leader in animal care, conservation, and education to inspire people through connections with wildlife in a fun, family-friendly environment.General Job Description
Under Veterinary supervision and reporting to the hospital manager, the Certified Veterinary Technician's duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Aiding the veterinarians in all forms of routine health procedures, field immobilizations, administration of medicines and anesthetics, husbandry, surgery, necropsy, etc.
- Performance of in-house laboratory procedures (i.e., fecals, urinalysis, blood smears, etc.)
- Preparation of samples to be sent to other laboratories
- Maintenance of accurate records and knowledge of ZIMS
- Caring for and observing animals housed in the Wildlife Hospital as needed.
- Maintaining/Cleaning of entire hospital and all equipment.
Lion Country Safari requires Veterinary Technicians to be eligible for Certification in the state of Florida within 6 months of hire.
- Graduate of an American Veterinary Medical Association Accredited Veterinary Technology Program
- Achieved a passing score on the Veterinary Technician National Exam
- Two years' experience in a companion, emergency or specialty veterinary hospital (preference to those in a zoo, wildlife or exotic hospital)
- Valid driver's license, and Florida driver's license required within 6 months
Lion Country Safari is located in South Florida and the majority of procedures are performed in the field, which requires the Certified Veterinary Technician to load/unload vehicles with equipment on a regular basis.
- Willingness to work overtime and be available for emergency work
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays (facility is open 7 days a week 365 days a year)
- Willingness to work outdoors in the elements (heat, rain, etc)
- Ability to physically lift heavy objects alone, up to 50lbs
- Understands the risks inherent to working with wildlife and zoo animals
- Able to work well as part of team and individually with minimal supervision.
- Insurance coverage (medical, dental, and life)
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Performance based increase and review after first 90 days
- 40% off lunch at the restaurant
- 40% off all retail shops
- Free tickets to Lion Country Safari
- Free tickets to attractions through Florida and discounts for family members
- Free uniforms
Please email or mail cover letter, resume and contact information to:
Amber Landacre, CVT, RVT, LVT, BS
Lion Country Safari Hospital Manager
2003 Lion Country Safari Rd
Loxahatchee, FL 33470
Job Type: Full-time