Republic Services is a leader in Environmental Services, partnering with customers to create a more sustainable world.We are Sustainability in Action our promise to be environmentally responsible and to help our customers be environmentally responsible too.Why choose Republic?Joining Republic isnt just about taking on a new job, its about making a commitment to create a more sustainable world together. Our people provide an essential service, serving and impacting customers, neighborhoods, and communities everywhere.As a company, we are proud of our values and encourage those who share in our aspirations to join our team:
- We protect our colleagues and communities through safe practices everywhere, every day.
- We are committed to serving our customers and communities by going above and beyond to exceed expectations.
- We take action to improve neighborhoods and communities by being environmentally responsible and creating a more sustainable world.
- We are driven to deliver results in the right way.
- We encourage a human centered culture that honors the unique potential and dignity of every person.
Reporting to the Director of Operations Support, the Area Environmental Program Manager is responsible for providing technical support and independent oversight of environmental compliance activities for multiple hazardous waste management facilities and service locations. Develops and implements strategies to achieve continuous compliance with air, waste and water regulations, local, state and federal, and maintain strong working relationships with environmental regulators. This position will work closely with internal and external resources, including regulatory agencies, to obtain permits, resolve inspections and meet the facility regulatory obligations. The incumbent will promote consistent application of the regulations while providing relevant information and reports to upper management on the program performance..PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes procedures for administering regulatory compliance programs.
- Supervises Environmental Managers, Specialists and Technicians, including responsibility for hiring, training, mentoring, developing, scheduling, directing, managing performance and other related issues; review the work of, and is accountable for the performance of same.
- Reviews environmental legislative developments to determine changes in legal requirements and probable effects on the business.
- Reinforces internal company standards and policies to comply with all regulatory requirements.
- Reads and interprets regulations, legislative developments and permits.
- Partners with operations management to develop solutions for achieving business and compliance goals.
- Assists facility environmental staff with maintaining site permits and maintains strong working relationships with regulator agencies.
- Develops compliance solutions in partnership with internal and external stakeholders.
- Monitors environmental inspections, enforcement and permitting across the area to ensure timely and appropriate resolution.
- Develops, implements and oversees environmental data management systems for collecting and tracking data.
- Facilitates communications between corporate and site staff through meetings and reporting.
- Performs other, related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Ability to lead a team of managers, specialists and technicians, managing an environmental compliance program for the area that involves diverse and complex environmental requirements and compliance obligations.
- Skill to read, analyze and interpret complex rules and regulations, financial data, professional journals and technical procedures.
- Skill writing reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to work complex mathematical and chemistry concepts using fundamental scientific methods in a variety of practical, variable and non-standards situations.
- Ability to direct or conduct complex data analysis with a high proficiency using Excel and other equivalent data management tools.
- Persuasive and highly effective at communicating, internally and externally, insights and recommended business direction.
- Strong ability to collaborate, listen and manage relationships.
- Ability to understand a particular situation from the perspective of different business units (regulatory, operations, financial, etc.).
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
- Bachelors degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Biology or related science. (required)
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience implementing environmental compliance programs (required).
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
Short- and long-term disability.
Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
Employee discount programs.
401(k) plan with a generous company match.
Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, relationship or association with a protected veteran (spouses or other family members), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.