UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 07-12-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, the incumbent participates in aerial surveys of marine birds and mammals in coastal California waters. This position supports the Institute of Marine Sciences by helping to provide information on the distribution and abundance of marine organisms and maintain a long-standing partnership with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Office of Spill Prevention and Response (OSPR). In this capacity, the staff research associate is responsible for maintaning expertise in on-water observation and quantification techniques through regular training surveys, participating in oil spill drills and excercises as requested by OSPR, and maintaining readiness to provide real-time support for oil spill related surveys.
Salary Information: $25.09/hour
No. of Positions: 3
Benefits Level Eligibility: No benefits
* Part-time, Variable
* Percentage of Time: 8.25%, 3.3 Hours per week
* Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
* Shift Includes: Day, Evenings
Employee Classification: This is a Limited appointment
Job End Date: 5 months from hire date, with possibility of extension
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: RX Union
Job Code Classification: 009613 (SRA 1)
Travel: Up to 100% of the time
75% - Aerial Surveys
* Identify and document with a handheld voice recorder the types, numbers, and geographic distributions of marine birds and mammals in coastal California waters from a plane during routine at-sea surveys.
* Maintain expertise in on-water observation and quantification techniques through regular participation in these surveys.
* Maintain readiness to provide real-time support for oil spill related surveys.
13% - Data Transcription and Reporting
* Transcribe voice-recorded data.
* Contribute to survey reports.
10% - Oil Spill Drills
* Participate in oil spill drills and exercises as requested by California Department of Fish and Wildlife Office of Spill Prevention and Response (OSPR).
2% - Procedure Modifications
* Participate in discussions about modifying and updating aerial survey procedures as necessary in coordination with OSPR representatives.
* Experience conducting at-sea surveys of seabirds and marine mammals.
* Demonstrated proficiency in the visual identification of seabirds and marine mammals of California.
* Demonstated experience using computer applications, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
* Ability to be flexible, open minded, and reason logically.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a small plane.
* Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D. degree in biological sciences or related field.
* Experience conducting surveys of seabirds and marine mammals from small planes.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
* Ability to work a variable schedule.
* Ability to adapt to a survey schedule that may change frequently due to weather variables and pilot and plane availability.
* The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.