Memphis Zoo Education Programs Internship
The Memphis Zoo Education Programs Internship provides college students with pre-professional career experience through hands-on experiential learning opportunities. This program will introduce interns to informal education program design and delivery, public interpretation, and guest engagement as we connect people with wildlife.
This internship is unpaid but may provide housing. We recruit for Education Interns seasonally, typically with 12-week commitments up to 40 hours a week. Start and end dates are flexible.
Intern duties will vary upon season and departmental needs, but could include:
- PK-12 Classroom Education, Spring Camps, Virtual Programming, Guest Engagement, After-Dark Programming, Workshops, Public Education, Scout Programs and more
- Assisting education staff in the set-up, clean-up, supervision, and instruction of classroom programming and other activities for all ages
- Delivering live interpretation to guests throughout the Zoo
- Assisting with the production of Education special events, animal celebrations, and awareness days
- Maintaining classrooms, work areas, and all resources in a clean, organized manner
- Designing, updating, or preparing curricula or class materials
- Evaluating current programming and/or regional trends in informal education
- Conducting surveys or research with regard to education programming and materials
- Networking with community partners to increase opportunities for guest engagement and mission fulfillment
- Each internship will culminate with a special project or other contribution to fit the needs of the department
- Must be a dependable, hard-working college student or recent graduate with an interest in the fields of education, interpretation, environmental science, biology, zoology, or zoo management.
- Must be able to work between 24-40 hours per week for 12 weeks.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm and good judgement while working with children and zoo guests.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to follow directions.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
- Proficiency in Office 365, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom, Canva, etc.
- Experience with youth/students
- Comfort with public speaking