Laboratory Specialist, Biology
Internal Position Title: Laboratory Specialist
Posting Number: S01945
Position Type: Staff
Job Family: Specialist
The Laboratory Specialist, under the supervision of the Laboratory Operations Manager, oversees operation of biology lab facilities: prepares and sets up all supplies and equipment needed for laboratories, assists instructors in dispensing special equipment, coordinates and supervises student workers, assists in preparing the budget, orders supplies as needed, maintains inventory of supplies and equipment, and maintains and monitors the security and safety of the stockroom and laboratories.
The Laboratory Specialist's duties include the necessary preparation, inventory control, cleanup, etc. for the labs at the Grayslake campus.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 14 paid holidays each year.
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni.
1.Associate degree or higher with emphasis in Biology.
2. Background in microbiology techniques.
3. Good organization skills, interpersonal skills and knowledge of scientific experiments and equipment required.
4. Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and handling hazardous materials required.
5. Ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
1. Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field.
2. Work experience in a lab, preferably academic lab.
3. Experience in inventory control.
Posting Date: 09/13/2022
Expected Start Date:
Special Instructions Summary:
Pay Rate: $16.88/hour
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
Total Hours Per Week: 40.00
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May vary in accordance with the needs of the College.
Software Testing Required: Excel, MS Word
Interview Process Requirements: None
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities.
Summary of Essential Functions:
Department Operations and Procedures (80%)
1. Oversees operation of all biology laboratories, preparation and storage rooms, and ensures proper functioning and maintenance at Grayslake campus.
2. Prepares and sets up all supplies and equipment needed for laboratories; monitors and replenishes supplies as needed.
3. Maintains current knowledge of the operation of equipment and of laboratory techniques used in the biology labs and chemistry labs.
4. Performs minor, periodic maintenance of microscopes and other equipment; arranges for service calls when necessary.
5. Assists the instructors in dispensing special equipment and replacing equipment for students during lab periods.
6. Assists instructors in operating equipment and locating supplies.
7. Maintains computerized inventory of supplies and equipment, orders laboratory supplies as needed, maintains contact with suppliers, and receives all items purchased by the area. Travels to local suppliers to pick up materials as needed.
8. Maintains and monitors security and safety of stockroom and laboratories, including storage and use of hazardous chemicals and potentially pathogenic bacteria and fungi.
9. Maintains semester schedule of laboratory experiments for all classes.
10. Assists instructors in development of new laboratory experiments and equipment.
Management and Supervision (10%)
11. Coordinates, trains, and supervises student workers.
12. Cares for plants and animals and supervises student workers assisting with their care.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Laboratory Operations Manager.
To apply, visit https://jobs.clcillinois.edu/postings/21391