Senior Program Officer, Technical Lead, SBTN Oceans Hub - 23037
- World Wildlife Fund
- Washington D.C.
- Closing date
- Oct 18, 2022
- Conservation science
- Salary Type
- Stipend/Per Diem/Living Allowance
- Employment Type
- Full time
Senior Program Officer, Technical Lead, SBTN Oceans Hub - 23037
Type: Limited Term (Fixed Term)
# of Openings: 1
WWF Washington, DC
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organizations, seeks a Technical Lead, SBTN Oceans Hub, as part of the WWF-US Oceans team. WWF is partnering with the Science Based Targets Network (SBTN) to engage companies and cities directly in reducing their contribution to ocean degradation while providing an opportunity to implement sustainable practices with far-reaching environmental benefits. The SBTN Technical Lead will serve in support of WWF's contributions as a co-leading organization of the SBTN Ocean Hub. The WWF technical lead will work closely with the technical lead hosted at Conservation International and liaise with a broader SBTN Oceans advisory group. The SBTN Ocean Hub is focused initially on the launch of a Seafood Value Chains workstream, which aims to provide guidance and develop methodology for private sector companies to set science-based targets related to their seafood supply chains.
- Co-leads technical work for the project (alongside technical lead at Conservation International), including evaluating existing seafood standards, developing detailed targets, and accounting methodologies for seafood companies, soliciting expert opinion for feedback alongside piloting methodologies with companies, and finalizing the first version of the completed SBTN methodology.
- Works closely with the SBTN Oceans Hub Program Manager and provides progress reporting as needed to WWF technical advisors under the SBTN Ocean Hub partnership.
- Works alongside WWF's technical team on seafood (wild-caught fisheries, aquaculture, seafood markets) to integrate expertise and approaches.
- Represents WWF as project co-lead when participating in SBTN working & engagement groups.
- Monitors and analyzes new technical information, policies, tools, and global trends related to science-based target approaches; documents learning from projects to synthesize available and emerging science for the Seafood Value Chain workstream to quickly progress toward an appropriate methodology.
- Works directly with program and project staff to facilitate coordination and alignment for existing projects and new initiatives.
- Builds and maintains an extensive network of relationships with key stakeholders, including local communities, governments, NGOs, the private sector, and other ocean-community leaders and academics.
- Travels as necessary, providing relevant technical research, workshop planning & logistical support.
- Interacts daily with other program staff and departments to advise and coordinate project activities or to obtain and disseminate information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an advanced degree plus 6 to 8 years of relevant work experience. A PhD in a discipline related to natural resource management, fisheries, monitoring and evaluation is preferred, and may substitute for years of work experience.
- Familiarity with the seafood sector (wild-caught and aquaculture) and markets-based conservation approaches, including fishery and aquaculture standards and performance metrics, is essential.
- Familiarity with SBTi or existing SBTN Hubs is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required, and the ability to communicate complex issues both verbally and in written form.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and produce high-quality work under time constraints.
- Excellent organizational and project leadership skills.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a matrixed team environment.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills requiring knowing when to use courtesy, tact and/or diplomacy to effectively communicate with all constituents.
- Ability to set priorities, manage a multitude of details simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, and work effectively solo and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising, budgeting, and monitoring donor compliance.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software, with experience of other collaborative platforms a plus.
- Additional language skills (Spanish/French) preferred.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF's core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
Please Note: This is a Limited Term position for 2 years, with the possibility of renewal.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23037
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/EOMwR4hWNjgajUlEVC7kmg
The world’s leading conservation organization, WWF works in 100 countries and is supported by 1.2 million members in the United States and close to 5 million globally. WWF’s unique way of working combines global reach with a foundation in science, involves action at every level from local to global, and ensures the delivery of innovative solutions that meet the needs of both people and nature.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert