Working with the Lead Veterinarian, the Staff Veterinarian will oversee the day-to-day care and treatment plans for the animals at the sanctuary and participate in the comprehensive medical and surgical care of the animals. This position will also manage the performance of veterinary technicians and/or vet assistants, ensure the medical center is clean, stocked and ready when needed, and document all procedures and treatment plans for the animals in our care. The Staff Veterinarian participates in the training of animal care staff and is on-call for emergencies.
The Staff Veterinarian ensures that the sanctuary's medical program emphasizes preventative disease control, including preventative medical care, annual examinations, quarantine protocol, disease surveillance and controlled drug protocols. Additionally, the Staff Veterinarian ensures the cleanliness and safety of animal enclosures and maintenance of medical equipment.Qualifications:
Essential Job Requirements:
- DVM or VMD degree from an AVMA accredited school of veterinary medicine or university.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DEA controlled substance registration certificate.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience working with zoological, exotic, livestock and/or wildlife species.
- Experience in captive management and health monitoring of exotic animals.
- Training in large animal chemical immobilization technique.
- Must possess and maintain all necessary licenses, permits, certificates and credentials required by law in the United States, the State of California, and all other appropriate governmental agencies.
- Through knowledge of animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintain independent insurance and provide documentation of same to Lions Tigers & Bears.
- Strong leadership ability and experience supervising/mentoring staff, interns and/or volunteers.
- Ability to organize, manage time, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Maintain the organization's medical center, including surgery, radiology, and treatment areas is a professional manner. Assists in the operation and maintenance of all veterinary equipment.
- Participate in veterinary specialist consultations, and coordinates all emergency care, medical treatments, on-site medication and supplies, and veterinary clinic equipment maintenance.
- Works closely with the Executive Director to ensure optimal quality of life for the animals in our care.
- Ability to lift/and or exert up to sixty pounds of force, bend, stoop and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Comfortable working in outdoor environments, including heat, wind, humidity, cold, rain and snow.
- Understanding this is a non-traditional, part-time position requiring a flexible, non-traditional schedule and commitment.
- Must be able to follow appropriate guidelines when handling chemicals and may occasionally be subject to fumes, odors and dust.
- Ability to manage the physical and emotional aspects of work in a sanctuary and have a high level of resiliency.
- Demonstrate professional respect, empathy and kindness toward coworkers as well as donors and volunteers, and a willingness to guide, teach and learn from others.
- Critical thinker who can offer recommendations and creative solutions, and a willingness to do what is needed in the moment to benefit the animals and the organization.
- Maintain a valid driver license as well as reliable transportation to our rural location in all four seasons.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Lions Tigers & Bears is an outdoor animal sanctuary in Alpine. The person in this role will walk throughout the property to interact with staff and volunteers. The person in this role is exposed to diverse weather conditions and rugged terrain. Administratively, the position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, talk and hear. The employee is required to lift, squat, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift to sixty pounds.Position Status:
This is a part-time non-exempt position. Evenings and weekends may be required. Travel to rescue sites and inspection sites is also required.Other Duties:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that will be required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employment Type: Part Time