Research Associate/Senior Research Associate* Disease Biology and Translational Sciences at Septerna
Septerna is an early-stage biotechnology company with a vision to become the industry-leading G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR)-focused R&D company with a portfolio of life-changing medicines. The company's Native Complex™ Platform recapitulates GPCRs with their native structure, function, and dynamics outside of the cellular environment to enable new technologies for industrial-scale drug discovery for the entire GPCR target class for the first time. Septerna has an emerging pipeline of GPCR-targeted small molecule drug discovery programs, along with growth potential to reach many GPCRs that have been undruggable and unexploited to date. Septerna was launched by scientific founders who have made groundbreaking GPCR discoveries and by founding investor Third Rock Ventures. For more information see:www.septerna.com .
Join a multidisciplinary team of colleagues focused on creating revolutionary medicines to address significant needs of patients. Bring your real self to work every day; grow and learn from a talented team of drug hunters, scientists, and business professionals; and contribute your passion, creativity, and energy to our mission. At Septerna we embrace diversity of thought, expertise, and background; we share a fearless pursuit of ground-breaking innovations; and our employees learn from each other and succeed as a team.
The Research Associate / Senior Research Associate will primarily be responsible for the development and conduct of in vivo, ex vivo, as well as in vitro studies in Disease Biology and Translational Sciences to support the advancement of Septerna's small molecule drug discovery pipeline. They will work independently and collaboratively in an inter-disciplinary setting to design and execute experiments in preclinical models to understand in vivo pharmacology, establish PK/PD relationships, and inform the efficacy of Septerna's therapeutic candidates. They will help generate and analyze functional in vitro and in vivo data to determine the therapeutic mechanism of action, and rank candidates for preclinical development. They may also engage in biomarker discovery efforts by utilizing a variety of in vivo and in vivo models to enable and inform effective therapeutic development.
We are committed to the development of meaningful therapeutics for patients with indications of high unmet need. This is a tremendous opportunity to work with talented individuals on the frontlines of therapeutic discovery and development. You will help move therapies through preclinical development, positioning them for success in the clinic. The successful candidate will add their passion, unique talents, and expertise to a dynamic team on the frontlines of innovative therapeutic development.
The position is based in South San Francisco, CA.
*Title commensurate with experience
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
· Design and execute in vivo and in vitro studies and determine statistical significance of finding
· Generate, analyze, document, and help interpret data to establish functional PK/PD relationships
· Work collaboratively to determine the mechanism of action of drug candidates
· Be a member of multiple project teams and present results in lab, team and department meetings
· Perform in literature searches, read and interpret papers to help design and trouble-shoot in vivo and in vitro experiments
· Help build in vivo pharmacology, cell biology, and biomarker discovery capabilities
· Work with bioinformatics and statistics colleagues to help interpret data
· Help in authoring in vivo pharmacology study designs, protocols, and reports to support regulatory filings
· Follow all company policies/practices, and maintain accurate records and notebooks
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· BSc or MSc in Pharmacology, Toxicology, or related biological science
· At least 4 (or 2 years with MSc) direct hands-on experience with in vivo studies or disease models in academia or the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries
· Ability to be hands on and work directly with in vivo mouse models
· Direct experimental experience with pharmacology models or in vivo biology
· Experience working with other scientists to analyze, interpret, and present data
· Ability to collaborate in writing protocols and trouble-shooting biological experiments
· Detail-oriented and organized, with strong interpersonal skills for clear and effective communication - ability to proactively engage and collaboration with colleagues
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· Experience working with primary cells or ex vivo models or in vivo species in addition to mice is a plus
· Previous work on therapeutic discovery and development programs or in vivo toxicology
· Knowledge of biomarker discovery and translational research is a plus
· Experience working with vendors and CROs to execute studies, analyze data, and generate reports
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.