HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc
HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking a motivated As-Needed Biologist with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic to join our Southern California Team. HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, air quality and greenhouse gas, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors.
Why work for HELIX? We are an employee-owned firm, hard-working with a casual and collaborative work environment. Our employees describe us as Caring, Team-oriented, Focused on Integrity, and Flexible .
The As-Needed Biologist position provides support to our biology team throughout the year, especially during our busy field season in the spring. This position is an as-needed position and is utilized to supplement our full-time workforce. You will not be guaranteed a minimum number of hours.
Biologist duties may include:
* Conducting terrestrial biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects.
* Conducting terrestrial biology surveys, including vegetation mapping, and/or focused species surveys.
* Managing personal workload and coordinating schedule with Project Managers and La Mesa Operations Manager as appropriate.
* Maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
* Providing high quality work products on schedule and within budget.
The ideal candidate must possess excellent communication and collaboration skills as working closely with HELIX team members is essential to the success of this position. Strong analytical skills, a positive attitude, flexible mindset, and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.
#Biologist #Biology #Terrestrialbiology #constructionmonitoring #fieldsurveys Requirements:
Minimum Requirements for Biologist:
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent in an environmental science, biology or related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable).
* Three years of professional experience (outside of academic requirements) related to terrestrial biology, including experience with an environmental consulting firm.
* Two years of local experience conducting terrestrial construction monitoring and/or two years of conducting surveys for terrestrial biological resources.
* Demonstrated experience working with Southern California terrestrial flora and fauna.
* Experience with terrestrial field data collection methods and equipment.
* Demonstrated experience maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
* Must be able to hike long distances over varying terrain under varying weather conditions.
* Valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record over the last 3 years.
Qualifications considered a plus for Biologist:
* Permits from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to survey for Southwestern Willow Flycatcher, coastal California gnatcatcher, Quino checkerspot butterfly, and/or other listed species.
* Experience conducting least Bell's vireo, Arroyo Toad, and Burrowing Owl surveys
* Demonstrated experience preparing biological monitoring reports.
* A Master's degree or higher in biology, natural resources, or related field.
* Experience conducting jurisdictional delineations, California Rapid Assessment Method (CRAM) analyses, habitat restoration monitoring, and/or preparing Clean Water Act permit applications.