Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at www.astellas.com.
Xyphos Biosciences, an affiliate of Astellas Pharma Inc. is developing a novel adoptive cell therapy technology platform and building a pipeline of innovative products.
We are a rapidly growing team of research and scientific professionals, passionate about turning science and innovation into medical solutions through our cell therapy technology platform. Through our diversity, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus on innovation, we are merging our technology with the Astellas drug development expertise to unlock cures to many therapies. Join our team of committed, enthusiastic professionals devoted to making the most effective, life-saving cell therapy products in the world.
Astellas is announcing a Scientist I, Tumor Immuno-Biologyopportunity at their Xyphos site in South San Francisco, CA.
Xyphos Biosciences is seeking Scientist I to join our Tumor Immuno-Biology group. The scientific focus of this role is improving the permissiveness of solid tumors to immune effector cells. The primary purpose of the role will be to work with a research team leading programs through different stages of development pipeline, focused on improving immune cell activity in solid tumor microenvironment. The successful candidate will focus on addressing the questions of metabolic fitness of effector cells, T- and NK cells homing to tumor site, challenges of immunosuppressive components in the TME, tumor heterogeneity and physical barrier. The position requires experience in solid tumor biology, immunology and cell biology. The successful candidate is expected to help lead both external collaborations and internal projects to aiming for successfully application of cell therapy in solid tumors.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Design and execute in vitro and ex vivo assays to elucidate mechanisms behind reduced CAR-T and CAR-NK cell activity in solid tumor microenvironment
* Design and execute studies addressing metabolic challenges of effector cell
* Work closely with Astellas' Protein Engineering team to design and validate therapeutics used to improve the permissiveness of solid tumors to immune effector cells
* In close collaboration with in vivo Pharmacology team design in vivo studies to validate efficacy of Astellas' therapeutic modalities
* Analyze data, interpret results and collaborate with Research team
* Engage with CROs to support research and discovery needs
* Effectively communicate with team members to efficiently conduct experiments, articulate experimental details and results with other members of the Astellas research organization, and present research findings and recommendations to senior leadership
* PhD with 0-3 years postdoctoral experience in an academic or industry setting, MS with 6+ years or BS with 8+ years of relevant experience in immunology, cancer biology, cancer immunotherapy or a closely related fields.
* Some experience with immunological assays utilizing T-cell, NK-cell and myeloid cells, as well as experience with receptor binding, occupancy and signaling assays using advanced cellular and pharmacological techniques
* Hands-on experience with flow cytometry with ability to design and implement multi-color flow assays
* Familiarity with methods used to validate tumor and immune cells metabolic characteristics
* Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills are essential with collegiality being a defining attribute
* Strong work ethic with a dedicated mindset of proactively identifying and productively filling gaps
* Ability to maintain highly detailed, accurate, and timely records of experimental designs, results, and data analysis
* Technical expertise with immune cell-based functional assays (e.g. activation, differentiation, proliferation, and suppression assays by using T-cells, monocyte/ macrophages, or dendritic cells)
* Prior experience with complex tumor immune cell co-culture and/or 3D models and the integration of such systems into lead characterization/differentiation is highly desirable
* Experience managing CROs
* Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
* Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time, plus national holidays including year-end shut down
* 401(k) match and annual company contribution
* Company paid life insurance
* Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible positions
* Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions
* Referral bonus program
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.