Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking analytically, and working in groups? Are you passionate about developing innovative solutions to the climate crisis? Are you interested in being a foundational member of a quickly growing team at RMI?
RMI's Climate Intelligence Program is seeking a Manager to join our Carbon Markets Initiative. This new initiative seeks to improve the transparency, efficiency, and quality of offset markets, ultimately accelerating progress towards a 50 percent cut in global greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050. Through both research and demonstration, the Carbon Markets Initiative will initially focus on how various technologies (e.g., satellites and remote sensing, machine learning, distributed ledger technologies) can improve offset quality. Over the coming year, our work will expand to cover other dimensions of the offset markets, including appropriate use of offsets across various industries.Position Overview
RMI's Managers are creative project leaders who mentor and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for the energy transition. The Carbon Markets Manager will lead project teams and work closely with RMI's Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects. Specific responsibilities will evolve over time as needed to support the initiative's goals but will include managing the research and analysis of junior staff and facilitating collaborative, multi-stakeholder convenings. This position will report to the Principal for Carbon Markets.Your responsibilities as a Manager include:
- Shaping the strategy for the Carbon Markets Initiative, and translating this strategy into various projects and activities
- Overseeing teams ranging from 5 - 15 (internal and external)
- Leading and contributing to research efforts and publications, including by managing the research and analytical activities of junior staff
- Acting as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders
- Coaching and motivating team members, including writing reviews for junior staff
- Contributing regularly to external interviews, videos, and publications
- Working with our development team to develop funding strategies
- Representing RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- Master's level degree in sustainability, economics, finance, business, engineering, or environmental science and 5+ years of relevant experience, OR undergraduate degree and 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience and expertise in carbon markets or in one or more category of technology solutions (machine learning, AI, blockchain)
- Experience leading teams and managing complex project portfolios
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well
- Background working directly with senior-level stakeholders in the carbon markets and climate finance sectors
- Experience managing grant-driven and donor-driven projects
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations
This position will be remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this position will be located near one of RMI's U.S. locations: New York, NY; Washington, DC, Boulder, CO; Basalt, CO; or Oakland, CA.Important Note
: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors
. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.Compensation
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid salary range of $103,000-$121,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this-regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational institution, or other social identities-is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteranAbout RMI
- Have a diverse array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world's greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported, and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world's most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
About the OrganizationAdditional Ventures (AV) is a purpose-driven organization leveraging evidence-based research and deep subject matter ... see more
International FisheriesThe international fisheries project is designed to secure an enduring system of rules and consequences that ensures the ... see more
About the OrganizationCEA Consulting is an environmental consultancy based in San Francisco, CA. For more than 35 years, CEA has worked at the ... see more
The Environmental Portfolio at The Pew Charitable TrustsFor more than 25 years, Pew has been a major force in engaging the public and policy ... see more
About the RoleWWF's half-century of conservation success is rooted firmly in science; it informs and underpins everything we do. WWF is ... see more
About the OrganizationThe David and Lucile Packard Foundation is a family foundation guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values ... see more
Climate Breakthrough identifies extraordinary leaders and empowers them to launch bold new strategies to address the climate crisis. Each year, we ... see more