Novartis protects 750 million patients and more than 100,000 employees in over 140 countries.
In alignment with the Real Estate & Facility Services Strategy in the Americas region, the purpose of this role is to lead, develop, implement, and oversee effective site Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) programs and provide direction to any dedicated HSE associates in line with local, regional and global expectations.
This position will continue to develop the framework for the management of potential risks to human health and/or the environment resulting from activities involving hazardous materials.
In this role that supports the Global Drug Development (GDD) San Diego site, the Manager may provide supervision to 1-3 dedicated HSE technicians or contractors at the site. Provide technical expertise and leadership for the HSE activities and objectives as determined by the site's needs:
• Single point of contact for GDD San Diego site leadership and site HSE programs. Sits on the site leadership team and part of the greater San Diego campus team. Partner with site leadership regarding HSE issues and solutions. Ensures that HSE services are provided to the site in an effective and efficient manner. May support programs and initiatives across the west coast and specifically at neighbouring San Diego sites. This may include providing technical expertise in the region as well
• Develops effective and efficient HSE Management Systems and supporting programs at GDD San Diego site (e.g. Chemical Safety, Biosafety, Radiation Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Compliance, Water/waste water permits, Air permits, Solid and hazardous waste management, site HSE Risk portfolio, general Risk Management activities, Hazard Communication, HSE training programs and others) that are appropriate in consideration of the site's complexity, population, regulatory burden/environment, criticality and location
• Executes and facilitates risk assessment for work with highly and/or particularly hazardous materials and Novartis compounds, review and approval of hazardous materials ordered by site research associates, and performing periodic evaluation of the site chemical inventory versus known regulatory thresholds
• Works with site leaders to develop biological safety protocols and risk assessments for process development. Collaborating with the site leadership to provide HSE training for new hires and laboratory staff
• Point of contact at the site for regulatory inspections (i.e. City of San Diego Fire Department, Department of Environmental Health/CUPA, APCD, etc.) and corresponding management systems to ensure that compliance obligations are met
• Manages all aspects of the site response, including hazard identification and control, investigations and coordination of corrective actions, to injuries and illnesses, emergency situations such as spills or leaks of hazardous materials and regulatory inspections
• Support and conduct risk assessments of work areas with hazardous or potentially hazardous processes as needed and/or requested. Collaborating with research associates to implement control measures to lessen and/or mitigate risks associated with tasks
• Ensures that robust systems are in place to demonstrate and verify compliance with all pertinent Novartis HSE Management System and Global Operating Procedures, and associated HSE regulations, permits, statutes, local ordinances and/or other externally driven requirements
While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers' (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to Eh.email@example.com.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
• BA/BS Degree required in Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science, Occupational Health and/or Medicine, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry or a related scientific field. Master's degree preferred
• One or more relevant professional certifications also strongly recommended
• Minimum 5+ years of relevant Health, Safety, Environment program experience, preferably with 3+ years of that experience at a managerial level interacting with senior site leadership
• A working knowledge of Pharma industry, in particular Pharma Health, Safety, Environment & Emergency Management issues is a plus
• Strong working knowledge and experience with HSE Regulations, HSE Management Systems, Risk Management, Auditing Expertise, Incident Response & Crisis Management, Scientific Process Knowledge
• Highly motivated self-starter with a willingness to assume responsibility, take ownership for his/her work and intelligently challenge the status quo. Competent in analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with internal as well as external organizations to achieve goals. Ability to build relationships and manage key vendors. Strong leadership, influencing and communication skills
• Fluency in English required; oral and written communications skills
766million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working. We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusion workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations:
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1(877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device.
Videos you watch may be added to the TV's watch history and influence TV recommendations. To avoid this, cancel and sign in to YouTube on your computer.
Share Include playlist An error occurred while retrieving sharing information. Please try again later.
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.