Senior/Principal Scientist - Protein Science for Structural Biology
Research - Enzymology & Structural Biology /
Cogent Biosciences is a biotechnology company developing real solutions to treat genetically driven diseases. With a focus on rational drug discovery and development, we are leveraging validated biology to advance precision therapies designed to address the true underlying drivers of disease and provide real hope for patients. Cogent's lead therapeutic candidate, bezuclastinib (CGT9486), is a precision kinase inhibitor designed to selectively and potently inhibit the KIT D816V mutation. This mutation is responsible for driving a rare and serious condition called Systemic Mastocytosis which can severely impact many different tissues and organs in the body. We are also studying CGT9486 to treat advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), which have a strong dependence on oncogenic KIT signaling.
Cogent Biosciences is growing! This position would be an integral part of our newly formed research team in Boulder, CO. This candidate would be responsible for the execution of recombinant protein expression to support target validation and project advancements in close collaboration with other team members of Discovery Biology. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of recombinant protein expression, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Structural Biology. They would have a seat at the table where they could intellectually contribute and work with a multi-disciplinary team with the common goal of bringing forward innovative cancer therapies.
What you will do:
- Lead efforts in operating the Baculovirus insect cell expression system.
- Perform insect cell culture for recombinant protein expression at various sizes, including large scale culture in shake flasks and Wave cell expansion system.
- Manage the plasmid inventory of protein constructs.
- Document experiments in electronic notebooks and present data in group and team meetings.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional and interactive team.
- Actively stay up to date on scientific and technique advancements in cell culture and recombinant protein expression.
What you will bring:
- PhD in Molecular Biology or related discipline with 0-5 years of post doctoral experience.
- Expertise in Baculovirus expression system, including Bacmid DNA generation, BIIC generation, virus amplification, small scale protein expression test, and large scale-up of protein expression.
- Hands on experience in cell culture maintenance and cell banking.
- Experience with analytical methods, including DNA gels, SDS-PAGE and Western Blot.
- Experience in recombinant protein expression in bacterial and mammalian cells will be preferred.
- Experience in molecular cloning, protein construct design, and protein purification will be a plus.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ideal candidate can develop novel ideas to improve recombinant protein expression.
- Salary range: $105,000 - $140,000 annually
Cambridge, MA: Our Boston office includes an open office layout designed for collaboration. Free access is provided for both on-site parking and gym facilities in the building. We are in close proximity to leading academic institutions like MIT and Harvard and to potential pharmaceutical and biotech partners. This unique location allows for a high level of energy and intellectual exchange within and among fast growing early stage companies.
Boulder, CO: We are in the process of building a second location in the fast-growing biopharmaceutical hub in the greater Denver/Boulder corridor. Our CEO is based full-time in this location, which will serve as the future home of Cogent's discovery research organization. Our Offer To You
To attract the very best talent, we offer a generous benefits package that includes competitive pay, performance-based bonus, stock options, insurance coverage (health, dental, life, and disability), competitive time-off, a 401(k) plan, and commuter/parking benefits.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to have a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
In an effort to protect our employees and extended communities from COVID-19, Cogent requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they receive an approved reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons.