Head of Biology
Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at www.astellas.com.
Mitobridge is an affiliate of Astellas. At Mitobridge, we are passionate about developing novel therapeutics that improve mitochondrial function to treat devastating human diseases. Mitochondrial dysfunction is increasingly linked to disease pathologies and we believe that 'normalizing' mitochondrial function can ameliorate or reverse disease states.
Astellas is announcing a Head of Biology opportunity at their Mitobridge site in Cambridge, MA.
The head of Biology will contribute to the strategic directions consistent with the company's vision for developing products that can address unmet medical need. This position will lead the scientific team and is responsible for managing experimental biology research projects for the company. This position plans and directs new programs, from initial discovery efforts, through in vivo proof of concept, and, ultimately towards IND submission and to the clinic.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Lead a team of world-class scientists to fulfil the broadest vision for Mitobridge, continuously developing and expanding the programs through state-of-the-art innovation, strategic decision-making, and operational excellence.
* Work in close collaboration with other Mitobridge leaders to build an agile organization and work closely with other research affiliates and functions of Astellas to align research strategy and synergize efforts to develop new therapeutics.
* Contribute to the company's scientific strategy by working with divisional senior leaders on setting long and short-term goals to bring novel therapeutics to patients.
* Along with the broader Astellas leadership team, partner with key colleagues in development, regulatory and commercial to execute the company's scientific, technological and commercial strategies.
* Maintain strong collaboration with other Astellas affiliates to strengthen internal pipeline.
* Provide scientific expertise, guidance, and strategy to project leaders to successfully bring programs to IND submission.
* Manage a portfolio of targets related to mitochondrial biology and other emerging areas of interest, oversee strategic execution of discovery research and preclinical activities to enable robust, timely project progression with clear development paths.
* Provide high-level updates and advice to senior management on drug programs and clinical/regulatory strategy.
* Oversee collaborations with academic investigators or industry partners, interface with key opinion leaders in specific disease areas.
* Serve as a leader, mentor, and coach to the research team in support of their professional development goals and help establish their impact on our clients and throughout the organization.
* Develop and retain a high-performance team focused on developing therapeutics. Provide development opportunities and mentoring to the team.
* Develop and maintain strong collaborations and relations with external KOLs for the purpose of maintaining the pipeline and building and maintaining the company's brand.
* Will position Mitobridge to become the most recognized and admired company in mitochondrial therapeutics by fostering interactions with outside key opinion leaders, present at scientific conferences and publish in high tier journals.
* Keeps abreast of emerging developments regarding research and development in the fields of mitochondrial biology, emerging new biology and new modalities that could facilitate identification of new targets or development of new therapeutics.
* Use innovation and prior drug discovery experience to guide programs to the clinic in the most time efficient manner while maintaining the highest standards of scientific integrity
* Reports to the Site Head. Will have several direct reports.
* PhD in biological science with 10-12+ years of highly relevant drug discovery experience
* Demonstrated creativity and novel approaches to solving scientific problems
* A track record of progressing small molecules through the different phases of pre-clinical drug discovery and experience in regulatory submissions (IND and NDA)
* Proven experience in development and leadership of scientists and or program teams
* Build insights and perspectives to help inform scientific, technological and commercial strategies, including by partnering closely with colleagues across multiple affiliates
* Effective communicator being able to influence change and drive for success
* Communicate insights and conclusions to the scientific team and executive management
* Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills with an enthusiasm for participating in a fast-paced environment characterized by rigorous science and innovative thinking
* Extensive experience with engaging and managing communications with key stake holders on research strategy and plans to achieve key milestones
* At home in a results-driven, highly accountable environment where you can make a clear impact
* A team player and mentor, who listens effectively and invites response and discussion. A collaborator who communicates in an open, clear, complete, timely and consistent manner
* An outstanding scientist with proven leadership skills and experience in developing research strategy to meet the divisional goals in a disease agnostic, pathophysiology/biology driven approach.
* PhD with 14+ years of relevant industry experience in a biopharmaceutical setting with extensive experience at senior leadership level leading drug discovery projects from target validation to IND-enabling studies
* Experience in muscle and/or kidney pathophysiology, metabolic diseases, mitochondrial biology, autophagy, small molecule pharmacology
* Experience working within large pharma organizations and biotech/start up environment
* Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
* Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time, plus national holidays including year-end shut down
* 401(k) match and annual company contribution
* Company paid life insurance
* Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible positions
* Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions
* Referral bonus program
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled