Versar is seeking a full time Senior Project Manager / Ecologist with strong technical skills to assist the team in our Versar Newport News, VA Office with a variety of tasks associated with natural resources projects. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in an environmental science field (e.g., ecology, wetland science, stream ecology), and will have a clear understanding of stream, wetland and shoreline restoration design principles and construction. Projects involve stream and wetland identification and permitting, natural resources planning, climate change assessments and planning, and ecological restoration construction largely in support of the Department of Defense (DoD). The position is organized under Versar's Environmental Services Group (ESG) and will report to the Newport News, VA office location. Responsibilities:
- Managing workflow, financial performance, schedule, and client satisfaction for complex projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Researching, acquiring, and synthesizing scientific literature and data.
- Writing, research, and field work in support of the preparation of wetland delineation reports, Section 404 permit applications, natural resources management plans, and other environmental studies.
- Performing wetland delineations and leading a field team.
- Supporting development of vulnerability assessments and implementation of climate adaptation efforts (e.g., coastal resilience).
- Collecting field data using accepted standardized collection methods.
- Assisting in the preparation, review, and QA/QC of technical reports and plans.
- Communicating with government, academic, and industry researchers and scientists.
- Understanding of stream and wetland restoration design principles and construction.
- Organizing and leading project team meetings and meetings with third parties/clients.
- Updating financial project management software, completing project invoicing, providing routine project updates, and maintaining regular communication with clients.
- BS degree in in an environmental science field such as ecology, wetland science, aquatic biology, botany, wildlife biology, fisheries, soils, hydrology, or related field, and 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Superior writing, communication, and computer skills (MS Word, Excel, etc.) as well as strong problem solving and research abilities.
- Experience documenting wetland and stream investigations in accordance with Corps of Engineers Wetlands Delineation Manual (USACE 1987) and other relevant guidance (e.g., Regional Supplements to the Army Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation Manual ).
- Performing and/or managing wetland delineations, stream/wetland mitigation monitoring, feasibility assessments of potential restoration projects, endangered species and habitat surveys, and other environmental site assessments.
- Ability to support projects that occasionally require travel with overnight stays.
What will make you stand out?
U.S. Citizenship or ability to obtain security clearance for work on DOD installations is required.
- MS in an applicable environmental science field and 10+ years of experience.
- Experience with Trimble GPS units, ArcGIS, and/or other ESRI data collection software.
- Experience conducting resilience and climate adaptation services.
- Certifications such as Professional Wetland Delineator (PWD), Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS), Project Management Professional (PMP) or permits for endangered species collection.
- Experience working with federal and state resource and regulatory agency personnel and various permitting processes.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. and capable of obtaining government security clearance and/or Common Access Card (CAC).
- This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with Versar's vehicle policy.
- This position is subject to a pre-employment drug test and drug and alcohol testing during your employment based upon Versar's Drug Testing and Drug Free Workplace Policy.