Professional Services Hoboken, New Jersey
Do you want to solve wide ranging analytical and business problems in a fascinating growth market with real societal impact? Then this is the role for you! The Consulting Services team at RMS has a proven track record in helping organizations to measure, manage and transfer their catastrophe risk. Our clients range from insurers and reinsurers to investment portfolio managers, financial institutions, governments, and corporates.
We work closely with clients to deliver a wide range of analytical, advisory and technology services and solutions, including:
- Assessment of business best practices for risk management, i mplementation and optimization of workflows relating to RMS products
- Consulting around new emerging systemic risks facing society, including climate change, novel infectious disease, and pandemic
- Risk transfer consulting and optimization, including ILS and catastrophe bonds
- Emerging use cases for risk analytics as these become strategic priorities for RMS and our clients
Consulting Services operates at the forefront of defining best practices for the quantification and management of risk. Joining this team offers an opportunity to drive the growth of a unique and fascinating market and help build resilience to the challenges society faces today.
Objective of the role:
A S enior Consultant is the face of our projects and owns the success - ultimately ensuring that the client's objectives have been achieved through the delivery of the solution / advisory work. While this person is responsible for directing all the functional work of the project, the role requires visibility into all areas of the project (technical, quality assurance, and project management). This visibility ensures that the proposed or implemented solution meets the client's needs (whether it is a model analytic, advisory , or implementation project).
For smaller projects, a Senior Consultant will work side-by-side with a junior consultant or analyst to help create project artifacts and deliverables. For larger / complex projects that may have multiple workstreams, the Senior Consultant will direct the activities of junior consultants and analysts who perform the detailed work. Regardless, this person must be aware of all project details and is accountable for the quality of all functional artifacts and deliverables. A cross all project types, a Senior Consultant works directly with clients at all levels.
In addition to project work, a Senior Consultant uses his/her network alongside marketing and sales activities to identify and drive consulting opportunities to signed contracts . This person also uses market knowledge and expertise on catastrophe analytics to develop and drive go to market of new service offerings.
1. A Senior Consultant is responsible for delivering solutions for complex projects with some oversight from senior leaders in the Consulting Services team. This person u se s knowledge of industry best practices and RMS software, data, models, and services, to deliver high quality recommendations and solutions that either address existing client challenges or help clients create more value . Previous business transformation project examples include :
- Helping a major reinsurance broker determine the right approach to implement capabilities built on RMS latest cloud-based risk management analytics platform, Risk Intelligence
- Designing, building, and rolling out bespoke tools and applications for RMS' clients around the world
- Helping a US insurer build internal capabilities around risk modeling for the first time
2. In addition to delivering business transformation projects, a Senior Consultant can deliver complex model analytic projects using RMS models and software to help clients address unique challenges or opportunities. Previous project examples include :
- Partnering with customers to respond to the latest Bank of England climate change stress tests
- Consulting with a major U.S. bank to understand the earthquake-driven default risk prevalent in mortgage-backed securities,
- Working with re/insurers to quantify their exposure to cyber risk for the first time
3. Collaborate with sales colleagues to develop Consulting Services pipeline and win projects.
4. Responsible for scoping and estimating project scope to inform resource estimates and commercial proposals to clients. Drive the development of project work orders, working closely with sales, technical , and project management colleagues.
5. Lead client meetings, including interviews and workshops, and meetings with executive sponsors and steering committees, as needed to deliver an engagement . In interactions with client stakeholders , a Senior Consultant advises executives on solution options, with analysis of the pros/cons and return on investment of the solution recommendation.
6. Manage project team members to deliver all functional project components .
7. Manage projects and opportunities simultaneously .
8. Influence key client stakeholders when providing business transformation recommendations . A key aspect of this is applying knowledge of the client 's business model to quantify the economic value of your recommendations with an ROI analysis .
9. Contributes to the development of standard, repeatable processes and artefacts for implementation and assessment projects that drive process efficiency within Consulting Services .
10. Help upskill and coach junior team members in domain and professional development topics .
11. Bring the voice of the client back to other teams within RMS and help influence our internal development decisions .
12. Partner with RMS marketing team to participate in and lead industry events. This includes presenting at RMS' annual client conference and leading webinars. In these presentations a Senior Consultant demonstrates industry thought leadership and applies RMS solutions to market trends and best practices.
- 7+ years of professional experience delivering high-quality complex projects in the insurance analytics space. This may consist of:
- Insurance software implementation experience
- Delivering complex analytic projects
- Work within a relevant strategy role within insurance, consulting, or professional services
- Possess a BS/MS/PhD or equivalent degree in one of the following disciplines or a related field:
- Earth/Climate Sciences (Geology, Geophysics, Seismology, Meteorology etc.)
- Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Engineering
- Risk Management / Insurance
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to interact with both business and IT stakeholders at the client from junior to the executive levels (C-Suite)
- Can easily communicate and move between the minutiae of functional specifications and overarching business strategy
- A strong team leader who keeps the team on task, engaged, and motivated
- Demonstrates a commercial mindset to help develop and grow a profitable business
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Previous experience running RMS or competitor catastrophe models
- Deep understanding of catastrophe management analytics
- Coding experience (any language) is an advantage
- Experience working across multiple insurance market segments and use cases (e.g., primary underwriting, reinsurance underwriting, portfolio management, etc )
- Fluency in additional languages
There is a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we are on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead - and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI) , an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
You have been redirected to a Risk Management Solutions (RMS) job page