Associate Principal Scientist - Cell Biology and Pharmacology
Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America Job Type Full time
This site is for Res idents of the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico.
Residents of other markets, please click here . Job DescriptionAssociate Principal Scientist - Cellular Biology and Pharmacology
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a therapeutic agent that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
The Cellular Pharmacology group in the department of Quantitative Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated, passionate, and creative Associate Principal Scientist that possesses the ability to work across a highly matrixed environment to advance preclinical programs from target identification/validation through IND enabling activities. The successful candidate will have a strong background in cell signaling and vitro models of inflammation and oncology and will play an essential role in developing assays with a cellular context for screening and translational relevance. This position will offer the candidate the opportunity to work broadly across different therapeutic areas and drug modalities while having opportunities to participate in and lead departmental initiatives/platforms. The position will be located at our Company's Research Laboratories in Boston and we are uniquely positioned to complement the world-class biology and leading academic research centers in the area.Responsibilities:
- Contribute to discovery program strategy, independently design and execute a wide range of cell-based assays, implement assay automation and new technologies to enable lead molecule identification and MOA characterization
- Collaborate extensively with members of department and multi-functional drug discovery project teams to drive design and optimization of therapeutic candidates and hit to lead optimization efforts to define cellular target engagement and activity
- Identify and apply emerging innovative methodologies to the development of advanced fit for -purpose in vitro models that represent human disease pathology in support of research projects targeting inflammation, autoimmune indications, and oncology using different modalities
- Conduct high quality in vitro studies to evaluate novel targets and screen multi-modality drug candidates to establish biochemical/biophysical and translational PK/PD relationships in multiple disease indications
- Function and communicate effectively in a highly productive and multi-disciplinary environment and serve as a liaison between the project teams and department
- Mentor and train junior staff scientists and colleagues
- Cellular biology to investigate cell signaling and function
- Demonstrated ability to advance chemical or biological entities from hit to lead optimization by independently designing, executing, and troubleshooting experiments
- Hands on experience with a wide range of in vitro cellular and biochemical assays such reporter assays, immunofluorescence, western blotting, Mesoscale, ELISAs, qPCR and immunoprecipitation is required with skills in cell line engineering, 3D and complex co-culture systems
- Design, optimizing and running high-throughput assays (including high-content imaging platforms) with basic understanding of automation and liquid handling systems is preferred
- Expertise in primary immune cell isolation and stimulation, immune function, cytokine assessment, proliferation and apoptosis assays and flow cytometry is desirable
- Proficiency in utilizing software such as Spotfire, Graph Pad, Microsoft office etc. for data analysis and figure generation is required
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational and record keeping skills is a must.
- Candidate should be a strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and with a demonstrated ability to solve problems independently and excel in a cross-functional team
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with strong analytical skills
- PhD in immunology, oncology, pharmacology or related field with a minimum of 6 years post-Ph.D. experience [academia/industry] with publications; an M.S. degree with 8 years of industry experience; or a B.S./B.A. degree with a minimum 12 years of industry experience.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role's pay range.
#EligibleforERPNew hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role's pay range. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.Employee Status:
Yes Travel Requirements:
10%Flexible Work Arrangements:Shift:Valid Driving License:Hazardous Material(s):Number of Openings:
Email this job to: About Us
We are one company, but we operate under two different corporate brand names. We are known as Merck & Co.,Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as MSD everywhere else.
Learn more about our virtual hiring process and new hybrid work model.
Discover how we support our employees' well-being to help them fulfill their potential.
Our culture values a diversity of voices and always bringing your best self to work.
- Job Search, Application & Interview Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Physician Payment Sunshine Act (PPSA)
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests. Not ready to apply?
Join our Talent Community to stay connected and receive updates on the latest job opportunities.
This careers website is intended for Residents of the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. Residents in other markets, please visit our MSD Careers page. Information on this site is for the purpose of presenting career opportunities at our organization and give our audience a view of our culture, diversity and growth opportunities. Our Company is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran, proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device.
You're signed out
Videos you watch may be added to the TV's watch history and influence TV recommendations. To avoid this, cancel and sign in to YouTube on your computer.
Share Include playlist An error occurred while retrieving sharing information. Please try again later.