Come join a company that strives for Extraordinary People and Exceptional Performance ! Chenega Enterprise Systems and Solutions , LLC
, a Chenega Professional Services
company, is looking for an Environmental Microbiologist
to conduct environmental sampling, laboratory testing, and data analysis for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The candidate will assist our program in laboratory workforce training programs and targeted WASH interventions in cholera hotspots. Travel is required as travel-restrictions due to COVID-19 allow.
We are looking for creative, collaborative, experienced, and driven individuals to join our team!
Our company offers employees the opportunity to join a team where there is a robust employee benefits program, management engagement, quality leadership, an atmosphere of teamwork, recognition for performance, and promotion opportunities. We actively strive to channel our highly engaged employees knowledge, critical thinking, and determination to innovate scalable solutions for our clients.Responsibilities
- Prepare environmental sampling materials and guidance documents and follow chain-of-custody procedures when receiving samples for analysis.
- Collect and process environmental samples including water, wastewater, soil, sediment, biosolids, filter, and other environmental sample types.
- Use culture-, microscopy-, molecular-based methods to detect and characterize microbial indicators of fecal contamination; viral, bacterial, and parasitic pathogens; toxins (in conjunction with CDC toxin labs); and/or antibiotic resistance genes and bacteria from environmental samples.
- Perform analysis of environmental samples for physical and chemical parameters using kits and meters.
- Develop and evaluate environmental sample collection, processing, and testing methods for various activities, including outbreak investigations and other investigations of known or suspected environmental contamination.
- Conduct research aimed at utilizing and developing new genome-based technologies for the detection and typing of enteric pathogens from environmental matrices.
- Develop standard operating procedures for laboratory analytical methods and assist with implementing and maintaining quality management system elements.
- Develop proficiency and training materials for, and support implementation of, environmental protocols in collaboration with the Laboratory Response Network and the Association of Public Health Laboratories.
- Provide training to state, local, and other public health partners to enhance the capacity of the domestic public health sector. Work will likely require some travel.
- Develop and coordinate national and international training courses and build environmental microbiology laboratory capacity in other countries. Work will require international travel.
- Assist with outbreak response efforts during national and international waterborne disease outbreaks. Work will likely require some travel, including international travel.
- Maintain safe work environment and necessary inventory of supplies to maintain laboratory readiness for research and outbreak investigations.
- Ensure monitoring and calibration of all necessary laboratory instruments to ensure compliance with CDCs Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Prepare and deliver clear, concise and accurate reports, presentations, and scientific manuscripts
- Works with the National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) Data Lead to develop and test the usage of electronic laboratory surveillance systems to receive, analyze and report wastewater surveillance data.
- Conduct geospatial analysis of wastewater surveillance data.
- Serves as the liaison with Palantir technicians to support DCIPHER development and troubleshooting.
- Develop training documents to support data submission, management and reporting for NWSS DCIPHER users.
- Manages surveillance data submitted to the National Wastewater Surveillance System.
- Serves as a liaison between multiple state and federal wastewater surveillance stakeholders, including microbiologists, environmental scientists, epidemiologists, and utilities.
- Performs ongoing QA/QC measures for data submissions and provides troubleshooting assistance for participating public health agencies.
- Assists with the design and integration of internal and external laboratory information management systems with the NWSS DCIPHER system.
- Prepares reports for surveillance summaries and system performance.
- Master's degree in microbiology, biological science, public health, or another related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 1-2 years related experience with biological products, in a Quality Control laboratory
- Experience in environmental sampling, aseptic technique, and culture-based laboratory analysis of environmental samples is required.
- Experience with implementing training programs, working in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs) or with LMIC populations, and French language proficiency is preferred.
- Prior lab experience
- Required to adhere to all government agency guidelines as it applies to COVID vaccine Attestation/Restrictions
Chenega Corporation and family of companies is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Native preference under PL 93-638.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program