Microbiology Laboratory Manager
We don't just like what we do at Aerobiology, we love it! We are looking for a Management level Environmental Microbiologist for our Woburn, MA facility who loves analyzing fungi and bacteria as much as we do. Someone who loves the challenge of finding it, identifying it, and going the extra mile to help our customers understand why in the world it is in their space. Spend one day with our amazing staff and you will see that not only do they love what they do, but they enjoy teaching and training others that have the drive to learn more. Come and reap the rewards with a company that is the gold standard in environmental analysis.Why Work at Pace: Mission Statement: Working together to protect our environment and improve our health.
- Benefits start first of the month following your start date!
- Competitive Salaries
- Medical, Dental, & Vision
- 401K Retirement Plan with a Company Match
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Paid Vacation, Sick, Volunteer Time & Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life, Disability and Voluntary Benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition Program
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE IN ANALYSIS OF ENVIRONMENTAL WATER, SURFACE, AND AIR SAMPLES - SPECIFICALLY BOTH VIABLE AND NON-VIABLE FUNGAL SAMPLES.
Responsible for managing the development and implementation of lab, services, and field programs, policies and procedures from a functional or technical perspective, including validating and auditing results, scheduling and services, and resolving service and customer problems for the entire department; provides advanced professional assistance to management staff in the area of assignment and related matters. Areas are typically varied and intermediate to complex in nature. May manage one or more of the following areas: chemistry, biology, microbiology, field, client services or relate areas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
1. Manages staff including hiring, training, development and engagement of self and team members, evaluating performance, providing compensation recommendations, and performance management.
2. Manages implementation and oversight of schedules, services, results and related functional programs to achieve desired and operational results, aligns leadership and resources required, and ensure effective administration; areas are varied.
3. Provides input and advice regarding developing and aligning strategies and programs to manage the lab, services or field programs, policies and procedures for the function, group or areas; areas are intermediate to complex.
4. Manages and participates in operational, instrumentation and equipment reviews; assists with ensuring compliance with federal, state, local, and institutional standards, regulations and policies, including fair practices in the handling of area related issues.
5. Provides observations and recommendations to leadership for improvement of the organization's policies, procedures and practices on lab, services or field matters.
6. Manages expectations of leaders, managers, staff and operations, facilitates communication on customer needs and business requirements, and establishes performance metrics; contacts are on-going or varied.
7. Resolves escalated, technical or sensitive customer and operational problems or conflicts; works with internal groups or external agencies as needed and oversees the successful resolution; areas are intermediate to complex.
8. Manages the group or area budget including allocating resources and approving expenditures under control; budget is moderate in nature.
9. Oversees or participates in special projects by identifying company, department, customer or service issues and priorities; communicates and coordinates, and evaluates results.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE: Bachelor's degree in chemistry, biology, environmental science, or a closely related field; AND five (5) years of experience, typically has experience as a lead or supervisor; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Three (3) years of supervisory experience is strongly preferred.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations: Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
- Comprehensive principles, practices and techniques of lab, services or field areas, such as biology or chemistry.
- Understanding of the development and implementation of area programs, policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment.
- Basic principles and practices of budget development and administration.
- Applicable lab, services or field laws, codes and regulations.
- Computer applications and systems related to the work.
- Understanding of dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, occasionally where relations may be confrontational or strained.
- Principles and techniques of providing effective oral presentations.
- Principles and practices of program planning, development and evaluation.
- Principles and techniques of making effective oral presentations.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Performing comprehensive professional-level lab, services or field duties in a variety of assigned areas.
- Overseeing and administering comprehensive and varied area functions.
- Supervising and evaluating employees and providing related recommendations.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
- Applying more standard business and project management methodologies with a focus on implementing plans to achieve goals.
- Developing effective work teams and motivating individuals to meet goals and objectives and provide customer services in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
- Interpreting, applying and explaining applicable laws, codes and regulations.
- Providing consulting services to supervisors and staff.
- Preparing functionals reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established organizational and department guidelines.
- Using tact, discretion and prudence in working with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Performing effective oral presentations to large and small groups across functional peers and the department.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of individuals contacted in the course of the work.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a lab and office setting, use standard office and lab equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects; vision to read printed materials and computer screens; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in lab, office and field settings. Work is subject to exposure to blood or bodily fluids, chemicals, fumes, gasses, noxious odors and related items in a lab and environmental setting. Work can also be subject to travel.
Aerobiology Laboratory Associates, Inc. has provided microbial indoor air quality services for over twenty years. Since its inception, Aerobiology has grown, adding lab locations and services while gaining industry recognition through key certification and accreditation bodies including the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory Accreditation Program (EMLAP), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) ELITE Program, and the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP). We have AIHA accredited environmental labs in Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ; Pennsauken Township, NJ; Huntington Beach, CA; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Fort Worth, TX; and Downers Grove, IL Our headquarters lab is located in Dulles, VA. We have a Supply Center located in Morrisville, North Carolina; and a Service Center is located in New York City that receives client samples for distribution to our laboratories.
In 2020, Aerobiology was acquired by Pace Analytical Services, LLC. For decades, Pace has been the trusted source for quality environmental and life sciences lab testing and analysis and the resource for scientific lab staffing, regulatory, and equipment services. Pace delivers better science to businesses, industries, consulting firms, government agencies, and more through the largest, American-owned and nationally certified laboratory network.
Please visit these websites for further information about the companies -
Monday through Friday
Approximately 8:00 am to 5:00 pm