GEI Consultants Inc Senior Environmental Engineer/Geologist/Scientist - Practice Leader
Washington, DC 20006 GEI a Way of Life
When you're doing what you love and working with great people, work becomes less like a job, and more like a way of life. Here at GEI Consultants, Inc. (GEI)
we have been fostering growth and creativity for nearly 50 years. Our culture is one of collaboration and support. If you are passionate about your field, excited about learning, and constantly looking for ways to innovate, we'd love to have you join the GEI family. Who are we? GEI
is an employee-owned, leading consulting engineering and environmental firm ranked #88 in the ENR top 500 (2020). We partner with hundreds of government, energy, industry and institutional clients, and have completed 50,000 project engagements throughout the United States, Canada, and more than 20 other countries. We are sought out for our ideas, our creativity, and most of all, for the quality and character of our people. Get to know us better by visiting GEI's career site here . Job Description
GEI's Washington DC office continues to grow and is seeking an experienced seller-doer Environmental Engineer, Geologist, or Scientist within Metro DC or the surrounding areas of Virginia and Maryland to join our team. Specialty areas of practice include property environmental due diligence, investigation and remediation, industrial compliance, and/or environmental permitting. Primary responsibilities are to lead, manage, and grow our Metro DC and surrounding area environmental practice generating new clients, expanding existing clients and supporting project-related environmental opportunities associated with our existing geotechnical and geostructural practice. Additional responsibilities include recruiting, training, and mentoring of environmental practice technical staff to support office, area, and regional growth.
- Grow our environmental practice in Washington DC and surrounding areas of Maryland and Virginia by serving new and existing clients and markets while cross-selling GEI's core business areas including geotechnical, remediation, water resources, waterfront, ecological, and civil engineering consulting.
- Help coordinate business development activities within practice; identify key clients / business areas, growth strategy, and capture strategy.
- Exemplify commitment to technical excellence balanced with client-expectations and satisfaction, and profitable project management. Serve as a technical leader and mentor.
- Participate in recruiting efforts and integration of new staff.
- Lead proposal efforts, maintain high visibility in the marketplace through regular client contact, participate and encourage active participation in professional organizations, and make presentations at client and industry events.
- Manage the technical, financial, and client relationship aspects of a variety of environmental projects.
- Contribute to strategic planning at the office, regional, and national level.
- Work with the marketing team and others to develop GEI "brand" within practice.
- Develop a networking relationship with practitioners across the company.
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree, with preference to an M.S. degree and relevant professional licensing.
- 15+ years of direct environmental consulting experience in the Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia marketplace.
- Strong understanding of regulatory compliance and permitting programs at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Demonstrated success in the development and management of clients.
- Senior Leader recognized for technical excellence and the development of client-focused, creative and practical solutions.
- Seller-Doer with established local (Washington DC, Maryland, and/or Virginia) network of clients and contacts, entrepreneurial spirit, and a successful track record in business development.
- Excellent technical report writing and communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel to GEI branch offices, and project/client sites as required.
- Current OSHA 40-hr HAZWOPER training and refreshers.
- Valid U.S. driver's license.
- Market-Competitive Compensation
- Comprehensive Benefits Program, including Medical, Dental, Vision and More
- Continuing Education Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development and Opportunities for Advancement
- Paid Holidays and Paid Time Off
- Rewards and Recognition
- GEI-Funded Profit Sharing and 401(k)
Activity Level Throughout Workday (check one per row)
Physical Activity Requirements Occasional (0-35% of day) Frequent (33-66% of day) (67-100% of day) Not Applicable
Lifting (floor to waist level) (in pounds)
Lifting (waist level and above) (in pounds)
Keyboard use/repetitive motion
Taste or smell (taste=never)
Talk or hear
6-8 hours Accurate 20/40 Very Accurate 20/20 Not Applicable
X Yes No Not Applicable
Color Vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
Sensory Requirements Minimal Moderate Accurate Not Applicable
X Reasonably Anticipated Not Anticipated
Uneven surfaces or elevations
Other (exposure risks):
Other work hours GEI is an EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability employer
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact Talent Acquisition at
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English - Spanish - Arabic - Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language: English - Spanish - Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: English