This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the 'posting date'. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious accommodation before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you looking for an opportunity to do impactful and creative research? We are seeking a highly dedicated biology postdoctoral appointee to join a hardworking and multidisciplinary team to use their experience and technical creativity to develop next generation toolkits for bioremediation and bio-manufacturing applications. You will work in the merger between basic science and ground breaking applications for the purpose of solving some of the nation's most meaningful problems. The individual selected will work at Sandia's Livermore campus.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Use cutting edge techniques to engineer bacterial genomes
- Identify novel bacterial signatures for bioremediation and bio-manufacturing using analytical chemistry techniques
- Generate innovative results as a member of a team of scientists and engineers
- Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences
This position is based on work performed onsite in CA and the salary is set at $99,000.Qualifications We Require
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Analytical Chemistry or a closely related field
- High technical achievement as evidenced by publication in high-impact scientific journals and the proven ability to conduct creative, independent research within a team environment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
One or more of the following:
About Our Team
- Ability to operate and analyze analytic chemistry equipment (i.e. GC/MS, LC/MS, etc.)
- Knowledge of sequencing technologies (RNA-sequencing, DNA sequencing)
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology skills (cloning, plasmid design, etc.)
The Biotechnology and Bioengineering Department, located in Livermore, CA, performs both basic and applied biological and bioengineering research with broad applications in national security, biodefense, health security, climate, and energy security. Our research in virology, microbiology, immunology and bioinformatics, is addressed by advanced technology development including CRISPR/Cas technologies, antibody engineering, advanced omics, synthetic biology, and advanced materials and nanotechnology. Our department is integrated into the highly multidisciplinary Applied Biosciences and Engineering Group, comprised of researchers with expertise in many fields of biology (molecular biology, microbiology, virology, immunology and biochemistry), chemistry (analytical, organic and physical), computational science (bioinformatics, machine learning, computational chemistry), and engineering (chemical, mechanical and biomedical).About Sandia
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.Security Clearance
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.EEO
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.