Company DescriptionJoin us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.Job Description
NOTE: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We are seeking a dedicated and hardworking Postdoctoral Researcher
to conduct research in the field of synthetic biology for biocontainment of genetically modified microorganisms. You will actively participate in research to develop biocontainment circuits in environmentally relevant bacteria and build and screen libraries for protein redesign. This position is in the systems and synthetic biology group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.In this role you will
- Conduct fundamental research in microbial synthetic biology for environmental applications.
- Employ state of the art gene synthesis approaches to produce gene libraries
- Develop high throughput approaches to assay the functionality of protein variants.
- Employ synthetic biology to implement biological circuits in environmentally relevant microorganisms and characterize efficacy in test beds of increasing complexity.
- Develop research plans, generate results, and publish peer-reviewed papers.
- Work with other scientists to write proposals and expand our program into new areas aligned with your expertise and interests.
- Write reports to funding agencies and participate in scientific conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meeting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications we desire
- PhD in Biological Sciences, Bioengineering, or a relevant field with a strong emphasis in synthetic biology and microbiology.
- Expertise in bacterial genetics
- Experience in engineering bacterial strains for environmental function. This might include design, assembly, and modeling of genetic circuits or metabolic engineering.
- Experience and knowledge in bacterial physiology.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience with high throughput screening methods such as FACS
- Experience with gene editing in non-model strains (non-E. coli systems).
- Experience collective and analyzing mulitomics data, including genomics, transcriptomics, and proteomics.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.Position Information
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site. COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.Security Clearance
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2. Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form. California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Videos To Watch