Senior Lead EHS Scientist
Req ID 6412Senior Lead EHS ScientistWho We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. Were looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. Thats why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!Our Business
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.This Opportunity
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Senior Lead EHS Scientist for our Columbus, OH office. Our offices in the following locations will also be considered: Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, California, and additional offices in Georgia. This individual will provide auditing and technical support on a variety of environmental health and safety (EHS) projects. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our clients objectives and solves their challenges.Your Impact
Who You AreRequired Qualifications
- Conducting field assignments, such as performing EHS compliance audits, chemical inventory assessments, job hazard assessments, aspect and impact assessments, EHS risk assessments and other similar assignments.
- Developing, supporting and implementing ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 EHS management systems.
- Providing EHS compliance program support for industrial clients including developing work procedures, preparing regulatory permit applications, preparing and submitting periodic regulatory reports (e.g., EPCRA Tier II, TRI, and RCRA Biennial reports), and preparing and conducting EHS training programs.
- Preparing technical reports, including documentation of audits and field investigative procedures, data management and interpretation, and development of graphical and tabular presentation of data.
- This individual should expect to spend approximately 50% of their work time at client sites throughout the United States. This individual should be capable of conducting visual inspections at industrial facilities, including climbing ladders, walking up stairs , and wearing Personal Protective Equipment when required. The individual will gain increasing responsibility for project and proposal management through training provided by WSP.
- Coordinate with clients, resource agencies, and environmental and technical staff, providing a high level of strategic advice and subject matter expertise.
- Collaborate with professionals from a variety of disciplines to provide future ready solutions for clients.
- Remain current in latest environmental science subject matter and techniques.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSPs Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Natural Resource Management, or a related life sciences field.
- 10+ years of years of experience working as an environmental scientist or EHS compliance specialist completing assignments such as environmental surveys, regulatory reviews/permitting, inspections, EHS training, environmental due diligence assessments, and/or habitat and impact assessments.
- 10+ years of EHS experience with working knowledge of applicable EHS regulations such as: CAA, CWA, EPCRA, RCRA, TSCA, OSHA, DOT.
- Knowledge of and experience with reviewing and applying Federal, state, and local EHS regulations.
- Experience developing and auditing EHS programs in industrial settings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including technical report writing and proposal writing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and web-based applications.
- Strong self-leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively, persuasively, and tactfully interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency with technical and business writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Extensive critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSPs health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Must be flexible to a variety of schedules to meet business needs and able to prioritize responsibilities and quickly adapt to change in a pressure work environment.
- Travel will be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Masters Degree is preferred.
- Certification in field, including ASP, CSP, CHMM, REM or equivalent.
- 40-Hour OSHA Health & Safety Training (HAZWOPER) (29 CFR 1910.120) preferred.
- Masters degree inEnvironmental Science; Chemistry; Safety, Health, and Environmental Applied Sciences, or related discipline.
- Experience with ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 EHS management systems. Formal auditor training is preferred but not required.
- Experience implementing Health & Safety Programs in an industrial setting is a plus.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 50%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: COLUMBUS - DUBLIN RD
- All locations: US-CA-Anaheim, US-CA-Antioch, US-CA-Foster City, US-CA-Fresno, US-CA-Irvine, US-CA-Long Beach, US-CA-Los Angeles, US-CA-Modesto, US-CA-Oakland, US-CA-Orange, US-CA-Riverside, US-CA-Roseville, US-CA-Sacramento, US-CA-San Bernardino, US-CA-San Diego, US-CA-San Francisco, US-CA-San Jose, US-CA-Sunnyvale, US-CA-Walnut, US-CA-Walnut Creek, US-GA-Atlanta, US-GA-College Park, US-GA-Hinesville, US-GA-Marietta, US-GA-Savannah, US-IL-Chicago, US-IL-Lisle, US-IL-Woodridge, US-IN-Indianapolis, US-NY-Albany, US-NY-Binghamton, US-NY-Buffalo, US-NY-Dale, US-NY-Goshen, US-NY-Hauppauge, US-NY-Hawthorne, US-NY-Horseheads, US-NY-Lancaster, US-NY-Latham, US-NY-Long Island City, US-NY-New York, US-NY-Pittsford, US-NY-Rochester, US-NY-Troy, US-NY-Utica, US-NY-Valhalla, US-OH-Cincinnati, US-OH-Cleveland, US-OH-Columbus, US-OK-Oklahoma City, US-PA-Bethlehem, US-PA-Bristol, US-PA-Ephrata, US-PA-Exton, US-PA-Levittown, US-PA-Philadelphia, US-PA-Pittsburgh, US-PA-Wexford, US-PA-York, US-Remote, US-TX-Austin, US-TX-Beaumont, US-TX-Corpus Christi, US-TX-Dallas, US-TX-El Paso, US-TX-Fort Bliss, US-TX-Houston, US-TX-Killeen, US-TX-Midland, US-TX-Round Rock, US-TX-San Antonio, US-TX-Sunray, US-TX-Texarkana, US-TX-Victoria
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employees career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.#LI-HYBRID