ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST II (Hydrologist) - P0251
Salary Range - $51,000 - $61,000
The Agency: Do you desire a career that provides you with opportunities to improve the world around you? The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is seeking diverse individuals from all backgrounds to apply for a career position that will make a direct impact on improving the lives of Virginia citizens. At DEQ, our Mission is to protect and enhance the environment of Virginia in order to promote the health and well-being of the Commonwealth's citizens, residents, and visitors in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Our Vision is that all Virginians enjoy cleaner water, better air quality, and the productive reuse of land that was once contaminated.
What you will be doing: The Department of Environmental Quality, Water Permitting Division, Office of Wetlands & Stream Protection seeks a highly qualified candidate for the Surface Water Investigations Program to assist with hydrologic data collection and maintenance of the Agency's 68 surface water gaging station network. This position will assist in the installation of new gaging stations and ensure the accuracy and consistency of the surface water stage data by conducting flow measurements and retrieving stage data from the network gages every 6 to 8 weeks. This positon will also conduct extreme condition flow measurements at network sites during floods or droughts and assist with processing, verifying, and publishing the current statistical flow data for publication in the annual "USGS Water Resources Data - Virginia" report.
- Demonstrated proficiency in surface water hydrology and hydraulic principles, intermediate mathematics and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in stream flow measuring methods and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in land surveying techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use computer systems and software to include Microsoft Office products and statistical software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Physical ability to perform manual labor and lift heavy objects and to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as be an integral part of a fast-paced, productive team.
- Must be able to travel for several nights at a time state-wide.
- Must obtain Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP) training/certification within 12 months of being hired into the position (pending funding availability and acceptance by the USGS) and maintain biannual refresher certification.
- Must obtain confined space entry certification within 12 months of being hired into the position.
- Must obtain the Virginia Safety and Boating Course within 12 month of being hired.
- A valid state driver's license is required.
- Must pass U.S. Department of Interior criminal background check.
- Qualifications preferred but not required: Degree from an accredited college or university in environmental science, engineering, or related field. A combination of education, experience, and training may substitute for a degree.
Why DEQ? DEQ employs a wide range of professionals in varying fields - from engineers and scientists to information technology and communications specialists. All positions work collectively toward one goal: safeguarding Virginia's diverse and abundant natural resources, which benefit agriculture, industry, and commerce, and provide a rich environment for people, plants and wildlife. If you seek to be a part of this Mission, Vision, and culture, while also enjoying a wide range of state benefits, we encourage you to join today. To learn more about our agency, please visit our website at https://www.deq.virginia.gov
Please Read Carefully:
The Commonwealth of Virginia welcomes all applicants authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not provided; therefore, applicants must be a citizen or national of the U.S., a Lawful Permanent Resident, or an alien authorized to work.
Excluding current DEQ Employees, the selected candidate MUST pass a criminal background check.The Application Process: Individuals desiring to be considered for this position must submit a completed employment application or you may attach a resume, before the position's closing date. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills and abilities. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.
Our Commitment: DEQ is an equal opportunity employer by both policy and practice. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. All applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. It is DEQ's intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. DEQ will provide if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed, please contact DEQ Human Resources Office at 804-698-4000.
The Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans: DEQ is a proud member of the Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program, authorized under the Code of Virginia (§2.2-2001.2). We are committed to hiring and retaining qualified Veterans.