Highly motivated Senior Research Scientists are sought to join the laboratory of Dr. Sebti at the NCI designated Massey Cancer Center and the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology. The research focus of the laboratory is to understand at the basic science level how normal cells become malignant and to translate such fundamental knowledge to the clinic. Specifically, the candidates will be involved in exciting and highly integrated inter-disciplinary research projects concerning understanding aberrant oncogenic KRas signal transduction pathways in cancer and designing novel anti-cancer drugs based on this knowledge.
Examples of projects that the candidates will be performing and responsible for are:
1. Understanding the mechanism of KRAS addiction
2. Understanding how oncogenic K-Ras regulates the tumor suppressor p53.
3. Identifying kinases that are synthetically lethal with mutant K-Ras.
4. Identifying small molecules that bind K-Ras and inhibit its GTP activation, binding to its effectors and blocking oncogenesis.
5. Identifying cell surface proteins specifically expressed on human cancers that harbor mutant K-Ras.
6. Developing dual FTase and GGTase -1 inhibitors as novel anti-cancer drugs targeting human tumors that harbor mutant K-Ras.
Required Education and Experience
Education: Highly talented individuals with PhD and 6+ years relevant experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cancer cell biology, pharmacology, in vivo anti-tumor efficacy in animal models and/or drug discovery.
1. Hands-on experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and/or pharmacology
2. Experience with in vitro and in vivo assay development as it relates to drug discovery
3. Ability to design and perform experiments, to manage research projects, and to analyze and interpret data, to make conclusions and plan forward.
4. Ability to maintain detailed documentation through electronic and notebook means.
5. Excellent past productivity as documented by publications
6. Demonstrated creativity, high motivation, solid communication skills and experience in writing progress reports and manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
7. Ability to work independently as well as demonstrated ability to work professionally and efficiently within the research group as a team player.
8. A good understanding of biology and a track record in working closely with experimentalists and clinicians is preferred.
Candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity or a commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Department: Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: Yes
Exemption Status: Exempt
Contact Name: Paul Peterson
Contact Email: SOMHR@vcuhealth.org