The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
AIA will provide you with the opportunity to advocate for the value of architecture and give architects and design professionals the resources they need to do their best work. The collective voice of architects is essential and our work drives positive change through the power of design.
Each one of us at AIA is a leader committed to demonstrating our mission and values and designing a better future for our country and planet. Even in times of change, AIA's values remain constant:
- We stand for equity and human rights
- We stand for architecture that strengthens our communities
- We stand for a sustainable future
- We stand for protecting communities from the impacts of climate change
- We stand for economic opportunity
- We stand for investing in the future
- We speak up, and policymakers listen
The American Institute of Architects, as part of the global community, is building a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion within the profession of architecture to create a better built environment for all. Achieving this vision has a direct impact on the relevance of the profession of architecture and the world's prosperity, health, and future.
This is a professional managerial position in the Professional Development & Resources department reporting to the Managing Director, Professional Development & Resources (PD&R). The Senior Director manages the AIAU program and leads project management, instructional design, subject matter expertise, and collaborative support for AIA continuing education and other programs delivered under the AIAU brand. This role manages the day-to-day operations of the AIAU product, works with the Managing Director, PD&R, to develop an annual budget, develops business and content strategy, and has program management responsibility, including financial performance, for AIAU. In addition, some AIAU programs may be considered for professional certifications, and the Senior Director will evaluate and oversee the process under applicable standards. Additional responsibilities include, research and identify trends/innovation in the realm of design, creatively implement findings in strategies/programs for educating architects, and maintain a catalog of top quality offerings on AIAU.
- Manage the AIAU program including business and content strategy, financial performance, and customer satisfaction.
- Maintain and grow AIAU as a critical platform for AIA members and design professionals.
- Create and implement strategies to extend the reach of AIAU, support member learning, and grow AIAU revenue.
- Develop curricula for AIAU programs.
- Manage design and development of online and other courses for delivery on AIAU.
- Manage AIAU's budget and expenses to achieve annual revenue and contribution targets.
- Serve as a consultant for other groups designing and developing member learning programs
- Serve as primary point of contact and collaborate with internal AIA teams, interest groups, Components and allied organizations to research member professional learning needs, determine skills and knowledge needed and develop new courses and curricula aligned with AIA priorities.
- Work closely with the Events department to assess needs, determine priorities, and design effective Conference programming.
- Collaborate closely with the Events department to ensure the Conference education program is relevant, varied, and meets the needs of the different audiences attending Conference.
- Assist with recruiting speakers to create innovative programming.
- Other duties as needed.
Frequent Contacts :
- Members of the Knowledge and Practice Team
- AIA staff
- Continuing Education Committee members
- AIA Members
- AIAU users
- AIA component staff
Demonstrated experience managing learning and development products especially online delivery of live and on-demand content. Demonstrated experience and understanding of current instructional design methodologies and practice as well as demonstrated understanding of adult learning principles. Proficient written/oral communication skills, organizational skills and problem-solving skills. Experience with online course development tools, technologies, and standards including Articulate 360, Adobe Captivate, and SCORM or similar. Experience developing and managing program and project budgets desired. Experience managing for-fee online learning products and programs desired.
Bachelor's Degree in Business, Education, Instructional Design, preferred or related field with a minimum of 8 years of related experience. An advanced degree is preferred and may be substituted for experience. Association experience is a plus. Supervisory -
Lead a team of 2 What we offer
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that reflects our company values and workplace culture, including:
- Medical and dental
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Income protection- (Life Insurance Coverage up to 2x salary) & disability plans at no cost.
- Tuition and membership reimbursements
- AIA employees have access to a variety of other programs, including:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their family members
- SmartBenefits transportation program, featuring up to $55 monthly in public transportation as well as pretax METRO parking
- Computer purchase program
- Fitness club discounts
- Prepaid legal services program
- Identity theft protection
Travel Requirements: minimum
Work Location: 100% Remote from the AIA Approved States : AR, DE, FL, GA*, ID, IL, IA, KS, KY, ME, MI, MN, MT, NH, NM, NY, NC, OK,
PA, SD, TN, UT, VT, WI, WY
This position will periodically be required to be on-site at the AIA Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, in accordance with the applicable law.