ASSISTANT RESEARCH BIOLOGIST - INFECTIOUS DISEASE RESEARCH General Summary
This position is responsible for performing a broad range of biological tests and procedures using standard scientific techniques and methods; and recording, analyzing and reporting results. The Assistant Biologist will apply an understanding of scientific laboratory methods and techniques with an ability to work well within a team. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Observes and executes activities consistent with study protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or Laboratory Methods, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, and safety and health practices.
- Performs various assays to support ongoing projects with supervision.
- Develops proficiency in data acquisition, data analysis, and reporting of results.
- Performs other duties as required by their supervisor.
- Under supervision, utilizes a variety of techniques to perform various assays.
- Maintains and passages cell lines for assays.
- Propagates virus strains and performs endpoint titrations in appropriate cell lines as needed.
- Monitors and adheres to project deadlines.
- Participates as needed for equipment service inspections and equipment validation processes.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and reagents needed to perform scientific experiments.
- Contributes to data analysis, including minor statistical analysis and reporting of results.
- May perform Quality Control on data generated by other individuals.
- Works under supervision of higher level staff.
- Attends departmental and other necessary meetings and training sessions pertinent to work.
Work Environment & Conditions
- AS in relevant discipline and 0-3 years of related experience or BS in relevant discipline.
- Observe appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures, Good Laboratory Practices requirements, and study protocols.
- Demonstrate ability to utilize relevant MS Office Suite Products.
- As a Federal contractor, Southern Research may be required to comply with a Federal COVID-19 vaccination mandate. In that event, Southern Research will require that all newly hired employees show proof of full COVID vaccination or authorized exemption prior to their start date.
This position is in a laboratory environment and required the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including (but not limited to):
- Eye protection (Safety glasses and/or full face shield)
- Respirator (varies based on tasks and barrier requirements)
- Tyvek/scrub suits
- Nitrile (or equivalent) gloves (varies based on tasks)
- Hearing protection (varies based on tasks)
Immunizations are required for this position and are determined by the study/agent. Some examples include Tetanus, Hepatitis B, Smallpox, Polio, and Influenza. Physical Demands
This position requires significant physical abilities including (but not limited to):
- Standing, walking or climbing for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects (sometimes in excess of 50 lbs.)
- Perform repetitive activities
- Clear vision with corrective lenses at 20 feet or more and ability to determine colors (no color blindness)
- Fine motor skills and manual dexterity
- Wearing a respirator for extended periods of time (BSL3 environment)
- Ability to perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time