Essential Job Duties:
- Ability to follows direction, complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, and works in a self-reliant and responsible manner.
- Assist Supervisor in training less experienced trainers.
- Maintain communication with Supervisors, other Team Members, Manager and Director.
- Observe animals and report health or behavioral related issues to Supervisors, Manager, Director and Veterinarians.
- Perform exhibit maintenance and cleaning.
- Prepare animal diets and medications.
- Feed and administer medications to collection animals.
- Use advanced operant conditioning animal training techniques without supervision of Supervisor.
- Interpret advanced animal behavior and make decisions appropriately.
- Keep records of daily animal husbandry.
- Conduct animal restraint, moves, and transport operations.
- Ability to perform basic Trainer duties in all areas of the Marine Mammal Department.
- Perform in shows as well as conduct educational lectures and tours as assigned. Public speaking is required.
- Develop basic animal collection management knowledge.
- SCUBA dive in salt water pools and exhibits as required.
- Adhere to all OSHA and USDA regulations and guidelines.
- Follows all policies and procedures of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and the Marine Mammal Department.
- Other duties as requested.
- Minimum 5-year, paid, full time experience in the care, husbandry and training of a variety of marine mammal species.
- Experience working with and training both pinnipeds and cetaceans.
- Bachelors degree in biology, psychology, zoology or related field preferred.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend, reach, and pass a swim test including a free dive unassisted.
- Must be able to work in and around cold salt water.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work days, nights, holidays, and weekends.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and follow MSDS.
- Must be able to read, write and speak in English and be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be willing to operate SFDK vehicles (forklift, Golf Cart, Car/Truck, etc.).
- Must possess quick reflexes and be able to react quickly to changing animal situations.
- Must be a Certified Open Water Diver.
- Must be able to pass an annual dive physical and stress test.
- Knowledge of basic water chemistry for marine mammal exhibits required.
Safety Sensitive Position
Six Flags is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SIX FLAGS SUPPORTS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
If you are able to answer "YES" to all of the following questions, please continue the application process by clicking "Apply"
- Can you provide legal documentation establishing your identity and eligibility to be legally employed in the United States?
- Are you able to perform the essential functions of the job for which you are applying with or without reasonable accommodation?
- Within the last 90 days, can you state that you have not used illegal or social drugs (excluding marijuana), such as MDMA (Molly), cocaine and crystal methamphetamine?
- I am willing to agree that future text messages relating to Six Flags, Inc., including company news, job posting application status updates, and other information, may be sent on behalf of Six Flags, Inc. to the cell phone number I provide.