SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.Job Description Summary
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Job Functions
- The Microbiologist is responsible for laboratory testing of raw materials and finished goods (consumer products) with a focus on the filtration and PPE (Personal Protection Equipment)industry. The testing would encompass using various microbiological analyses and techniques.
Qualifications Education and Experience
- Properly prepares and analyzes samples for microbiological testing, as required.
- The Microbiologist will prepare samples for processing, testing, result analysis for report preparation
- Maintains associated documentation
- Performs traditional cultural and molecular testing to meet product specifications and client/customer expectations.
- Sets-up calibrates, maintains, and operates various laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Performs microbiological testing using industry-standard methods, along with methods developed in-house.
- Assists with preparation of all microbiological media, diluents, reagents, supplements, etc., as required for testing purposes.
- Maintains quality and confidentiality of client and company information and provides support in updating laboratory quality systems.
- Ensures safety compliance within a Biosafety Level 2 environment and in working with live cultures.
- Ensures equipment and laboratory areas are clean, organized, and maintained in a state of audit-readiness at all times.
- Actively participates in performing housekeeping duties and in keeping equipment clean, sanitized, and in good operational condition within the laboratories.
- Assists in other areas of the company, as needed.
- Promotes responsibility, good work habits, a positive work environment, and be client facing when needed.
- Participates and promotes continuous improvement efforts within the laboratory functions and operations.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of an A.S., B.A., or B.S. degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Biology, or closely related field of science
- Minimum of 2-4 years of Microbiology testing experience within a laboratory environment.
- Experience working with filtration, medical device / PPE testing, or other basic microbiological testing experience utilizing methodologies applicable to ASTM, AOAC, and/or USP testing is a plus.
- The Microbiologist must bring a high level of professionalism in performing a broad range of microbiological duties and assignments in a full-functioning capacity.
- Considerable judgment is used to make decisions in carrying out assignments that have a significant impact on the current state of times, PPE safety, quality, filtration needs, and brand value for SGS and its clients.
- Assists with expanding laboratory method development, laboratory capabilities, and managing form control documentation.
- The position has the responsibility to support laboratory management in the implementation, maintenance, and improvement of laboratory management systems.
- Working knowledge of microbiological methods, techniques, and analysis is preferred.
- Knowledge of ISO 17025 laboratory accreditation, a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to assess daily workload, prioritize activities, and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Must possess excellent time management and organizational skills needed to balance multiple projects and changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Possess and display a strong sense of urgency, attention to detail, and good judgment.
- Must have work schedule flexibility as required, in efforts to effectively deliver timely testing and results generation to meet the demands of SGS business and client commit dates.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.