Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. Thats the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Job Category
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary Range
$129,800.00 - $214,200.00Target Openings
1What Is the Opportunity?
Under limited supervision, responsible for the strategy and management of the underwriting process for the Property and Inland Marine lines of business within the Middle Market Construction, Energy, & Marine business groups. Acts as a subject matter expert with some percentage of time devoted to strategic management. Ensures underwriting results enhance overall profitability, growth and retention of business and are consistent with all related underwriting initiatives. Communicates underwriting standards.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.What Will You Do?
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Responsible for articulating strategy needs for rate adequacy, product and pricing for a segment of a broader business or a region/zone.
- Participates in the development of strategic business planning activities to ensure underwriting philosophy, strategy needs, rate adequacy, pricing model and coverage needs for assigned line of business
- Identifies trends and emerging issues. Monitors underwriting results for a segment and partners with field management to take action as needed.
- May drive underwriting strategy for a segment based on sound analysis of financial trends, territorial needs and marketplace dynamics.
- Partners with BI Learning & Development, CUO and Industry Team to develop and manage the training curriculum for the line of business
- Liaison and Business Representative to cross functional areas including, but not limited to BI Product, Actuarial, Business Capabilities Office (Market Business Representative)
- Subject matter expert to Industry, Specialty and Segment CURES
- Keeps underwriting and product guidelines current, relevant, and organized in UGuide. Communicates updates.
- Participate in Product Modernization efforts in concert with Business Capabilities Office
- Ad hoc project work (BI Transformation / BU Continuous Improvement)
- Field underwriting support for field questions, manuscript endorsements, transactional underwriting, and emerging line of business trends
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What is a Must Have?
- 10+ years of underwriting experience preferred.
What Is in It for You?
- 8 years of underwriting experience required.
- 7 years insurance experience with advanced understanding of products, underwriting coverage, rules, forms, regulatory environment, risk management, pricing/filing processes, underwriting processes, and insurance financials required.
- 4 years leadership and management of others experience preferred.
- CPCU designation preferred.
- Demonstrates excellent leadership, collaboration, influencing, change management and communication skills.
- Expert oral and written communication skills with ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to comprehend and communicate intent of state product strategies, underwriting strategies, and interrelationships with coverage. Ability to mentor, coach and train others to develop this skill.
- Critical thinking and analysis skills to understand state specific results, underwriting results, and competitor actions in order to recommend state specific actions. Advanced ability to assess quality of state specific underwriting and financial results.
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members including spouses, domestic partners, and children are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, youre eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email (4-ESU@travelers.com) so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/ .