Principal Environmental Planner & Project Manager
San Diego, Los Angeles or Irvine, CA
We are the Environment & Planning Division. We are passionate about doing what's right for our clients, our people, the communities where we live and work, and the environment. We are planners, scientists, program managers, communicators, economists, technologists, and strategists. We are collaborative, curious, and committed to excellence-these are qualities we value that make us who we are and inspire us to grow. If you perform well in a fast-paced, engaging and collaborative environment, and would like to work with a diverse team of industry professionals, we encourage you to learn more about ICF (www.icf.com) and consider applying to join our team.
The primary duties of the Principal Environmental Planner are to manage the environmental compliance process (including California Environmental Quality Act [CEQA] and National Environmental Policy Act [NEPA]) and serve as a primary point of contact with local, state and federal government clients, as well as private sector clients such as renewable energy developers, and commercial/residential/industrial developers, and engineering companies. Project management experience on larger project/program environmental impact analyses for planning and development, renewable energy, transportation/transit, and water infrastructure projects is preferred. At a minimum, the position includes coordinating the effort of multidisciplinary teams tasked with conducting research, preparing technical documents/deliverables, maintaining a robust understanding of CEQA and NEPA, and interfacing with external clients.
What You Will Do
* Serve as a project director or project manager on large complex environmental compliance documents for development projects, infrastructure projects, and land use plans, overseeing the preparation of documents, reports, presentations, technical memoranda, and other work products.
* Maintain a thorough understanding of CEQA and NEPA, including staying up to date on case law and providing support on complex projects in order to accurately advise clients.
* Write proficiently with ability to manage multiple project schedules with competing deadlines and budget constraints.
* Interface directly with key clients and help build and maintain great relationships.
* Assist with business development and contribute to identifying new leads, writing proposals and bookings.
* Manage and author deliverables.
* Mentor less experienced staff.
* Strictly adhere to professional standards, including but not limited to: demonstrating consistency and reliability, timeliness in meeting project deadlines, close watch and control over project budgets, and maintaining clear and concise communication.
What You Need to Have
* Bachelor's degree or higher in urban planning, transportation/transit planning, environmental studies, or related field. (Master's Degree in a related field desirable).
* 12+years of related professional work experience.
* Strong work ethic with a positive attitude and thrives in a team-oriented setting.
* Advanced knowledge and understanding of environmental planning and related fields.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience interfacing with external clients, members of the general public, and government officials.
* Strong analytical skills, including attention to detail.
* Strong project management skills, including ability to take and give direction, stay organized, and manage time effectively.
* Commitment to overseeing preparation of high-quality work within established budgets and schedules.
* Ability to exercise tact and courtesy working with internal staff.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
* Experience preparing and managing high-quality CEQA and NEPA documents for federal, state and local government agencies; and/or experience preparing and managing high quality CEQA documents for private sector clients and engineering firms.
* Experience obtaining environmental permits, reviewing technical studies such as those addressing biological resources, cultural resources, air quality, noise, traffic, and hydrology.
* Several years of senior project management experience working within a private consulting firm.
* Business development experience and willingness to engage in business development (client outreach, proposals, interviews, etc.).
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with talented and passionate individuals and to grow with a firm that believes in nurturing talent and developing long-term career success. ICF is a purpose driven company with a strong culture and underlying values that prize diversity, opportunity, equality, and respect. Our core values include Embracing Differences, and we seek candidates who are passionate about building a culture that encourages, embraces and hires dimensions of differences.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Los Angeles, CA (CA80)