is seeking a Marine GIS Analyst
to join the Marine Spatial Ecology Division, an interdisciplinary science team at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrations (NOAA) National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS). This position can be located in Silver Spring, MD, Beaufort, NC, or Santa Barbara, CA (NOAA facilities). The Biogeography Branch/ Habitat Mapping Team specializes in ecological studies that map, characterize, assess, and model the spatial distributions and movements of estuarine and marine organisms across habitats throughout the United States and Island Territories. To be considered for employment, applicants should come from a background in marine science (i.e., biology, oceanography, ecology, geology) with
experience in 1) hydrographic survey acquisition and post-processing, 2) creating benthic habitat maps of the seafloor using sonars on vessels or autonomous platforms, and 3) acoustical and optical remote sensing data management. The successful candidate must be available to travel on small inshore or large offshore research vessels to conduct mapping missions up to four times a year for up to four weeks at a time.Core Responsibilities: Provide field support for remote sensing and seafloor mapping projects.
Provide data analysis support for ecological assessments and habitat mapping.
- Serve as field party chief for mapping components of research missions
- Help prepare field equipment and operations for hydrographic seafloor mapping surveys
- Support hydrographic survey data acquisition aboard research vessels and collection of ground-truthing data in the field
- Process remotely sensed data (i.e., multibeam, side scan, LiDAR, optical) for habitat mapping
- Perform quality assurance and control (QA/QC) on collected data
- Produce basic descriptive reports and statistical summaries of collected data
- Develop cartographic products, analyses, databases, and metadata from spatial data
Ability to conduct field mapping in marine environments
- BS degree in a marine science related field or 2 years experience in hydrographic survey. Background in marine sciences and GIS, or marine survey.
- Certified training or 2 years of experienceusing multibeam software (e.g., CARIS, Hypack, or Qimera)*
- Certified training or 2 years of experience using GIS software for remote sensing and spatial analysis (e.g., ArcGIS, qGIS, Fledermaus, Global Mapper, PCI Geomatica, and Envi)*
Data management and organization
- Have demonstrated seaworthiness and be able to pass a standard swim test.
- Able to travel and deploy to large oceanographic vessels or small vessels for up to four times a year for up to four weeks at a time.
- Able to quickly learn, follow and institute reproducible scientific survey or sampling protocols, work with a team or independently, and strong problem solving skills
This position will be stationed in NOAA Silver Spring, MD, Beaufort, NC, or Santa Barbara, CA facilities.Preferred:
- Able to institute data management practices, data organization and provisioning, and create metadata for habitat map products
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills. keen attention to detail, and able to effectively track and report task progress or challenges.
- Able to simultaneously and effectively perform and meet milestones for multiple projects and areas of interest, concurrently
- Highly-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multitask and manage time to achieve project objectives, meet deadlines, and work independently and collaboratively.
- Non-U.S. citizens must possess current documentation authorizing employment in the United States and meet the minimum security requirements for access to federal facilities.
- A National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI) background check and fingerprinting will be required.
Certified training or 2 years experience processing and analyzing multibeam backscatter in FMGT*
Certified training or 2 years of experience using software (R*, Python*) to conduct statistical analysisExperience identifying and classifying benthic habitats (geomorphological structure and biological cover) in tropical and temperate regionsExperience developing benthic habitat maps using artificial intelligence algorithms (e.g., segmentation, machine learning, deep learning)Experience using uncrewed systems (UAS, ASV, AUV), including mission planning and executionExperience using Microsoft Azure cloud based storage and virtual machines
Preferred software; others will be evaluated based on applicants skill and experience.Qualifications
CSS is predominantly a Federal Contractor and is subject to following the terms of Executive Orders. CSS requires all Employees (Direct, Indirect, government, state, and commercial), including employees working from home/remotely, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption. Exceptions to the COVID-19 vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the CSS HR Department.
CSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer who provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, CSS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.