Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy. Through unique insight and innovation Elegen can produce DNA in ≤1 week that is 10x longer and 20x more accurate than any available methods, letting scientists everywhere streamline and accelerate their work.
We are seeking a passionate and creative molecular biologist to become one of the founding members of our growing R&D team. You would help lead the rapid expansion of our revolutionary gene synthesis technology.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, self-driven scientist looking to join a uniquely innovative, rapidly moving, high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, you will help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley's best scientists and engineers.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Invent and develop novel molecular biology techniques related to long DNA assembly and amplification (from 10 to 100 kilobases).
- Direct molecular biology efforts from research through development to process scale-up, validation, and commercialization.
- Advise and help solve problems for molecular biology projects across the company.
- Help hire, mentor, and develop the molecular biology team.
- Provide useful input on market opportunities for long DNA.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, molecular biology, synthetic biology, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience and deep expertise in molecular biology techniques and enzymes, in particular those related to production or manipulation of long DNA.
- In-depth knowledge of enzymatic gene assembly techniques.
- Creative problem solver, with a passion for developing and implementing new molecular biology techniques.
- Strong track record of working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects.
About the company:
- Strong understanding of synthetic biology applications.
- Previous experience with devising, troubleshooting, and optimizing protocols on automated instrumentation.
- Life Science Tools industry experience, preferably in one or more startups.
- Strong scientific network.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.