Scientist - Protein Biochemistry (Food Ingredients)
R&D · Pleasanton, California
Imagine a meat company unlike anything that has come before! We are is on a mission to impact climate change by revolutionizing how we make meat. Founded in 2019, we make protein from elements of the air.
We are a modern food company, crafting the world's first air-based meats to feed us more sustainably, help renew the planet's resources and eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air around us into protein using probiotic cultures, then turn those proteins into any meat imaginable. It's where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
Join our team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to transform the future of food with solutions we never thought possible, creating meat that is nutritious, delicious and more sustainable. We use less land, less water and is significantly faster to make than any other meat available.
In addition to the chance to work with cutting edge technology to help combat climate change and working toward addressing the impending food crisis, Our employees also enjoy competitive benefits and total compensation plans and a collaborative company culture. If you join us on this relentless pursuit for more, changing the world will soon feel as natural as taking a breath.
We are funded by ADM, a world leader in fermentation technology, GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Barclays, one of the world's leading financial institutions.
The Scientist - Protein Biochemistry (Food Ingredients) is responsible for defining, characterizing, modifying, and delivering novel protein ingredients and will work closely with strain development, bioprocessing, and product development teams to formulate meat analog products. This position will be based in the SF/Bay Area and will require a candidate to either live locally or relocate to the area. Full relocation provided.
- Establish and characterize the composition of our microbial biomass (e.g., protein, carbohydrate, lipid, and mineral) using multi-omics and other approaches.
- Develop and implement processes for evaluating the functional behavior (i.e., chemical, physical, thermal, and sensory properties) of our protein ingredients made from air.
- Design small-scale functional assays to increase screening throughput for protein ingredients.
- Build new capabilities for identification and quantitation of proteins and peptides from complex microbial matrices.
- Develop methods to extract, analyze and screen for the function of novel protein ingredients.
- Perform protein characterization using various techniques including UV-Vis, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, ELISA, mass spectrometry, and light-scattering.
- Execute protein purification with affinity, size exclusion, ion exchange, and hydrophobic interaction chromatography, possibly using AKTA chromatography workstations.
- Document batch to batch variability, analytics, and establish quality metrics.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Interpret, analyze, and communicate results in a timely fashion to internal stakeholders.
- A PhD in biochemistry, protein science, molecular biology, chemical engineering, or related field with 0 - 8 years of postdoc or industry experience.
- BSc or MSc with more relevant industry experience working in protein biochemistry labs may be considered as well.
- The Scientist-level will be commensurate with the amount of experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of protein functionality and application to food production systems.
- Strong hands-on wet-lab skills with demonstrated ability to design and run scientific experiments.
- Demonstrated expertise in method development for the detection and quantitation of proteins.
- Understand fermentation and protein downstream processing procedures.
ABOUT OUR PURPOSE
Why we exist: To accelerate the world's transition to climate and rainforest-friendly meat
What we do: We make nutritious meat using the most sustainable protein on the planet
- Protect people & the planet
- Play as a team and have a growth mindset
- Do what you say you will do
- Be the change you seek
- Create a culture of belonging