Senior Director, Transportation
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world's biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org). Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Director will lead the Transportation team within the Climate & Energy Program and provide strategic oversight of transportation work across Ceres. This is a full-time position that will report to the Senior Program Director, Climate & Energy. Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop the overall strategy for the Transportation team and Ceres to move the industry on climate change issues and support the overall mission of Ceres.
- Lead transportation sector company and trade association outreach within North America
- Provide support and guidance to investors in Climate Action 100+ engaging with major transportation companies.
- Develop and oversee recruitment plan to bring companies in the transportation sector together for collective climate action.
- Develop intellectual capital and thought leadership (for example: analyses, white papers and reports, facilitation and training guides, presentations) for critical audiences including policymakers,companies, investors, trade publications and trade associations.
- Work closely with the Communications team to develop and distribute all written and electronic products related to the work of the Transportation team.
- Oversee the coordination with other teams at Ceres to advance project or program work, specifically providing support and direction to Ambition 2030, the Corporate Electric Vehicle Alliance, and the Company, Investor, Policy and Accelerator teams.
- Supervise program staff, including conducting annual performance assessments, leading annual team and individual goals processes, conducting quarterly check-in meetings and more frequent team management meetings as necessary.
- Collaborate closely with the Director, Clean Vehicles, to ensure regular Transportation team communication and strong integration between various Transportation team initiatives and issue areas.
- Oversee the evaluation/review of projects on the Transportation team and incorporation of assessment outcomes into future project planning and management.
- Actively participate in crafting donor strategies to support transportation program work. Partner with Development team for fundraising from corporate and individual donors as appropriate.
- Partner with the Finance team to develop and oversee budget for the transportation program, including quarterly monitoring of budgets, and staff promotions.
- Ensure that programmatic strategies maximize the impact of our work through a lens of justice, equity and inclusion.
- Serve as resource for Ceres staff on Transportation industry issues related to sustainability.
- Serve as liaison and spokesperson for Ceres' Transportation Program nationally and internationally at conferences and other events, including communication with media outlets
We understand that there are many paths to acquiring expertise and experience and therefore welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role who have demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description, including the following required skills or experience:
The starting hiring salary range for this position is $130,000-$136,000 How to Apply
- At least thirteen years of relevant experience in the transportation sector.
- Seven years of management and strategy development experience.
- Detailed knowledge of North American transportation industry trends and culture.
- Strong connections across the transportation industry, along with the ability to engage at the business, board and CEO level.
- Knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues, practices, and actors (for example: corporate reporting tools, ESG investors, and environmental and sustainability organizations).
- Ability to successfully recruit and manage corporate relationships in the initiative
- High comfort level with both deeper industry engagement on the basis of substantive issues, and playing the role of advocate in working with companies to improve their performance
- Comfort facilitating dialogues on a range of industry-specific topics (for example: the implications of climate change on transportation risks, pricing, product development, investment and customer and policymaker engagement).
- Five years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training, support staff development, and manage sensitive personnel matters.
- Experience cultivating effective and productive supervisory relationships with direct reports across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of/experience with the finance sector.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres' Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying:www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.