The Protein Therapeutics Department is seeking an experienced and exceptional director to lead our Protein Chemistry Group. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative environment to mainly support the recombinant protein needs from our small molecule drug discovery programs. He/she will be responsible for leading the team efforts in recombinant protein sample preparation to meet project needs in assays and screenings, biophysics characterization, structural and MOA studies. Gilead Sciences Inc. is a highly matrixed organization and the ability to work effectively across multiple function groups is a key attribute for this role. Experience in successful leading the development and execution of recombinant protein expression and purification strategy for programs in Immuno-Oncology and Virology field and a strong understanding of enzymology and protein structure-function relationship are highly desired.
Responsibilities and Technical Skills:
- Lead cross-functional Protein Chemistry Group to develop and execute recombinant protein expression, purification and characterization strategies to ensure delivery of samples of high quality that meet project needs
- Oversee the outsourcing activity of screening CROs, protocol transfer, production outsourcing and quality validation of protein samples for drug discovery programs
- Lead and direct group effort to identify, assess and implement new technologies to enhance our technical capability and working efficiency
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills are required to work with Enzymology/Biophysics, High Throughput Discovery, crystallography structure team, Mass Spectrometry and Bioinformatics functions to create synergy in assisting drug discovery projects on their effort of assay setup and high throughput screening, lead identification and optimization and MOA studies
- Strong experimental background in supporting small molecule drug discovery programs, demonstrated experience in recombinant protein expression in E. coli and insect cell expression system, and deep understanding of enzymology, protein biochemistry/biophysics and protein structural studies
- Must be able to work independently and effectively on multiple programs in a fast-paced matrixed environment
- Must be team and detail-oriented, motivated, and results focused.
PhD and/or post-doctoral training in the area of biochemistry, molecular biology or other related bioscience field with a minimum of 8-10 years of directly relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience. Candidate must be detail-oriented with excellent organizational and communication skills who enjoys working in a fast-paced dynamic multi-disciplinary environment. Preference will be given to candidates with proven track record of success and a strong scientific background in protein enzymology, biochemistry, structural studies as well as group management.
Job Requisition ID R0025895
Full Time/Part Time Full-Time
Job Level Director
Click below to return to the Gilead Careers site
Click below to see a list of upcoming events
Click below to return to the Kite, a Gilead company Careers site