Sustainable Fashion Research Intern (Paid)
About the organization:
At the Center for Biological Diversity (The Center), we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature - to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive. We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive!
General Position Overview: The Center for Biological Diversity's Population and Sustainability team uses creative campaigns, outreach projects and educational materials to raise awareness about the impact of human population growth and consumption on wildlife and the planet and advocate for solutions that disrupt consumer culture, shift industries from destructive practices to sustainable production, increase accessibility to wildlife-friendly materials, improve equity, expand human rights and protect biodiversity. The Sustainable Fashion Intern will work remotely with our Population and Sustainability Director, in collaboration with our campaign partners. This paid internship will assist in researching and analyzing the use of harmful materials and greenwashing messages in top fashion brands. Additional related research, writing and other duties may be assigned as needed.
Main Intern duties:
* Research fall catalogs of top apparel brands for specific types of materials and marketing messages.
* Analyze and summarize research findings by brand, apparel type and other criteria.
* Assist with environmental impact calculations related to analysis.
* Work with supervisor and partners to draft a report on research findings and analysis.
* Assist with outreach to brands included in the analysis.
* Help create media plan, materials and social media outreach about the research and analysis.
Areas in which skills and experience will be gained:
* Working with a national conservation nonprofit
* Learning about sustainable fashion, consumption, and conservation issues
* Research and data analysis
* Writing for different audiences
* Project Management
* How to work independently with remote supervisors
Please send a cover letter (including your availability between August 2022 and December 2022), a résumé, and references via our website at https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/jobs/. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Qualifications and skills desired:
* Undergrad or graduate student.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
* Prior experience with online research
* Likes working with diverse groups of people.
* Experience working with a team and independently.
* Detail oriented.
* Knowledge around fashion, wildlife, consumption and/or sustainability, preferred.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities, and cultures, and we encourage people who identify as Black, Indigenous, and other people of color to apply for open positions. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.